Review by DustinPBrown -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Review by DustinPBrown -- My Trip To Adele

Post by DustinPBrown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was pretty surprised to see the title and cover art for this book when I picked it up. A book about Adele, literally titled My Trip to Adele? And it’s a romance? We’ll see how schmultzy this gets, I thought to myself.

The novel follows three characters on their own personal stories.

Elias, has returned to his hometown of Marrakech in search of a lost love he shared an amazing week with 8 years ago. He searches the ancient city for her, gathering clues from old acquaintances and even dabbling in magic to try and find her.

Yaser’s story is less romantic, but more real. His 8-year marriage is becoming a bore to him, his wife a nuisance, and their counselor doesn’t seem to be helping. His struggles are much more internal, but they take him through the streets of Las Vegas as he searches for the meaning he craves.

Last there’s Nadia, a Jordanian woman whose biggest dream is to take her son to see Adele live. She runs into obstacles in the form of her abusive ex-husband, her unsympathetic corporate bosses, and a patriarchal society that limits even the strongest of women.

I think the most fascinating aspect of this book to me is the different takes on love and the different forms of it that exist. What I expected was a run-of-the-mill romance either beginning or culminating with the Adele concert. Instead I saw a marriage try to respark a fizzling, passionate love and how grand romantic gestures don’t mean as much as honest, open communication in repairing a relationship. I saw a mother’s ardent love for her child expressed in soft, real moments like singing a song together. In essence, I saw a reflection of reality, and it made the book so much stronger.

This book isn’t just a romance though. The characters grow in surprising and satisfying ways. The story is paced well, and no scene feels useless or unearned. Anyone who likes reading about other cultures or countries will definitely enjoy this too, as I did. I didn’t know, for example, that dowries were still a thing in some cultures, or what a dowry could mean to the bride, the groom, and the entire family involved in the marriage. The descriptions of El-Fnaa Square in Marrakech were vivid and the legal peculiarities of Jordan and its tribe system was very interesting.

I have few complaints about the book, really. A couple of typos or mistranslations pop up every now and then. It takes a while for the story and characters to find their voices, but when they do, they’re compelling and well-done. The authors also have a soft spot for exclamation points that irked me just a tad.

As for the conceit of Adele throughout the book, at times it felt over the top. There are moments that feel like an advertisement for the singer and her new album. I enjoyed that the chapters are named after Adele songs and that the lyrics are always pertinent to the chapter, but the execution was off. The characters always either listen to the song or sing it. Setting the lyrics up at the beginning of the chapter as epigraphs would have avoided this awkward problem and avoided the gimmicky, forced feel that the inclusion of the lyrics sometimes had.

As I said though, these are minor issues. I very much recommend My Trip to Adele and give it 4 out of 4 stars because the characters and the story in this book are more than enough to compel the reader to the end, an ending I didn’t expect and that had minimal schmultz and cheese.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like DustinPBrown's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kavya Acharya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kavya Acharya »

This is not my kind of book.. I am not interested in this topic
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I gave this book 4 stars too! I quite enjoyed reading about other cultures, their descriptions were well written! Nice review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was amazed with this book. Yes, the story is unique. Yes, the writing is evocative. Yes, the characters are realistic and likable. But to do all that in fan art is to me exceptional. Too bad Adele's handlers squashed it. I still hope Adele can behold this masterpiece from two talented die-hard fans. If I were her, I'd be more than honored.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really like how you describe the book as showing the different ways that people can experience love. The descriptions of other countries and cultures were excellent. Great review. Thanks.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I'm reading this book currently. I'm enjoying it really. Although, I agree that the book seems to advertise Adele. Lol
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your succinct, frank, and witty review. I've read, reviewed, and loved this book, too, foremostly because I'm an Adele fan, and most especially because it just didn't disappoint me at all.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

When I have the opportunity to read this book, I really enjoyed. The three stories are wonderful and well developed. Thanks for your review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I am glad to know this book is with minimal schmultz. Indeed there are other forms of love; not necessarily romance. Thanks for this descriptive review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read a few reviews on this book, but I absolutely loved to read your take on it. Good point mentioning that this was more than a mere romance story. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think the most fascinating aspect of this book to me is the different takes on love and the different forms of it that exist. What I expected was a run-of-the-mill romance either beginning or culminating with the Adele concert. Instead I saw a marriage try to respark a fizzling, passionate love and how grand romantic gestures don’t mean as much as honest, open communication in repairing a relationship. I saw a mother’s ardent love for her child expressed in soft, real moments like singing a song together. In essence, I saw a reflection of reality, and it made the book so much stronger.
What an interesting insight! Of course, love has many forms and all of them are meaningful. Your reflection on marriage is incredibly accurate, in my experience. I agree, books that really reflect reality can be very powerful.
As for the conceit of Adele throughout the book, at times it felt over the top. There are moments that feel like an advertisement for the singer and her new album. I enjoyed that the chapters are named after Adele songs and that the lyrics are always pertinent to the chapter, but the execution was off. The characters always either listen to the song or sing it. Setting the lyrics up at the beginning of the chapter as epigraphs would have avoided this awkward problem and avoided the gimmicky, forced feel that the inclusion of the lyrics sometimes had.
I had read several reviews on this book and nobody had mentioned it, but I understand your point. Subtlety can be an important quality.

Amazingly insightful and honest review. Thanks!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked your view of the book, as you mentioned that the characters revealed different takes and forms of love and that you learned a bit about other countries and cultures.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be a great collection of short stories with an underlying connection to music.

Thank you for the great review.
Shraddha singh
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Shraddha singh »

I liked this book very much because it shows the importance of relationships. It's not important that always love means between a couple it can be in between anyone. And this book is the best example of love between parents and children's. This book is just heart touching.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like your perspective of the book,and the way you capture the realistic situations faced by the characters. Quite an insightful review. Thanks!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”