Review by bookwormnumbertwenty -- Strong Heart

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookwormnumbertwenty
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormnumbertwenty.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Review by bookwormnumbertwenty -- Strong Heart

Post by bookwormnumbertwenty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Type of book: fiction.

Author: Charlie Sheldon.

Publisher: Iron Twine Press.

Rating: I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

On a rainy, windy, night, Tom is at home with his two friends, William and William's daughter Myra. They are preparing for a mountainous trek the next day. Suddenly there is a pounding at his front door. It is Tom’s ex-wife with a young girl, who she claims is their dead daughter's child. She leaves the girl with Tom, who is totally at a loss as to what to do with her, since they will be journeying up the mountain the next day. So begins a life changing adventure for Tom, his granddaughter and his friends. Set in a mountainous region among indigenous people, more than one secret is revealed, as their trek sets in motion an avalanche of events.

Age related issues, heavy rainfall, accidents, injuries, make their challenging journey a torturous one. Changing scenarios as well as the occurrence of supernatural interference takes this story into another realm. This book also addresses issues such as the lack of protection from domestic and sexual abuse for children and teens within some homes, from domestic and sexual abuse, to runaway teens and drug use. The desecration of indigenous sacred artifacts and lands and a ruthless businessman, who will stop at nothing to get what he wants, brings this story to an exciting conclusion. Tom's life will be irrevocably changed at the end of it all.

The dedication for this book spoke to me, since I am one of "Those whose greatest pleasure is curling up with a book on a rainy afternoon.” I am also "a contrary girl" who is hoping to find my "own shortface bear". The quote from Carl Jung at the beginning, also spoke to me and I knew that I was going to enjoy this book. I was hooked from the first sentence and had to continue reading to find out what was coming next.

For those of us who are history buffs? Yes!

For those who enjoy adventure? Yes!

For those who enjoy reading about the challenges that the human spirit overcomes? Yes!

For the mature reader ? Yes! There is something for everyone who enjoys reading, in this story.

There was something happening in every chapter, from the very first sentence in this story to the very last word. There was no time to be bored, as I needed to find out what was on the next page, what was going to happen in the next chapter. Charlie Sheldon's use of maps, quotes and obviously well researched information makes this book stand out. His style of writing compares to Jean M. Auel's series of books on The Clan.

He made the characters come alive for me. This story pulled me in and kept me turning the pages until the last word. His cliffhanger ending left me hoping for another book in the continuance of this story. It was an exciting, well written, professionally edited book. A truly enjoyable, informative read and I look forward to curling up to read book 2!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookwormnumbertwenty's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”