Review by kyliech -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kyliech
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyliech.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by kyliech -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by kyliech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit is written by William H. Coles, illustrated by Betty Harper and Peter Healy. Published in April, 2015 is a fiction book.

Darwin Hastings is a 17-year-old orphan who has lived with his aunt after his parent's death. He is smart and determined to become a doctor just like his father. Darwin questions his future when he is forced to leave Pittsburgh where he had lived most of his life, when his aunt falls sick and she could no longer take care of him.

The story kicks off when Darwin leaves Pittsburgh for New York to live with his cousin Luther Pinnelli a famous football player. When he arrives at the house in the Hampton, he is given a tiny storage room to use as his bedroom which is isolated from the mansion. Mrs Thomas the house manager introduces him to his grandmother, who only said "hi" and locked herself in the room.

When Darwin asked Mrs Thomas for his weekly allowance, he learns that his new guardian prevents him from having easy access to the allowance that is part of the inheritance his parents left for him. He further denies him access to a private school, with all the obstacles will Darwin survive this ordeal? will he be able to get into medical school like he always wanted? what is Luther's intention?

Luther is known to surround himself with crooks, he is selfish, rude, a womanizer and the use of drugs threatens his career as a football player. Darwin finds comfort in Dr. Adrian Malverne a successful doctor he met on the plane when he was relocating to New York. Not only does Dr. Malverne help him to find a place at a private school, he also treats him like a son he never had.

Reading this book I have learnt that not everything comes easily and the author clearly illustrated how Darwin thrived to make his dreams come true regardless of his hardship. He had the support of his grandmother, Mrs Thomas, Sweeney Pale a famous singer who is Luther's girlfriend and Laszlo Luther's chief of security.

Without giving any spoilers, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because the author is very detailed. I love how the author is able to bring different characters together and make each character interesting. I would have rated the book 4 out of 4 stars but I feel like some parts of the story were missing that it was difficult to follow for instance, the relationship between Luther and Mrs Thoma's daughter, Darwin and Helen's engagement .

My observation is that the title of the book did not match with the contents, though this is just my opinion and am sure other readers will have a different view. Fans of fiction will find the book interesting.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like kyliech's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Seems that this a repeat review. Okay. But, again, let's avoid spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”