Review by MsTri -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Review by MsTri -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by MsTri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've never read a book written from a pet's point of view that I didn't like, and Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi did not break that streak. This delightful story follows Inca, a Siberian kitty, as she sets out to solve a mystery. Along with her siblings, Cara and Fromage, and an assortment of animal friends, she has to prove that a human neighbor friend is the rightful owner of his home. It seems that the previous owner passed away, leaving a will that has mysteriously disappeared, and the neighbor, Ned, has been ordered to move.

There are so many things to love about this book that I almost don't know where to begin. A popular adage suggests one “start at the beginning”, so I'll do just that. The first thing the reader sees, before the story commences, is a picture of Inca's “Family Tree”, showing everyone in her extended family. This picture is then followed by brief descriptions of each main character, including their likes, dislikes, and idiosyncracies. I thought these were great ways to introduce everyone without bogging the story down. After the introductions, Inca's diary begins. Inca has a great “voice”, and she says things that I imagine a cat really would say. “Cara, Fromage, Charlotte and I were seated around the fireplace with Mom, the young humanoid we jointly owned”, for example, speaks to the common feeling that cats believe they own us rather than the other way around.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat is paced perfectly for the younger set, with just the right amount of action versus suspense. Inca deviates from the main story on occasion, but I had no problem keeping up, and I think this tendency would appeal to children, who often tell stories in the same way. The book also has a secondary story of a neighbor's trip to find a friend who was presumed dead, and I think the author did a great job meshing the two storylines together.

In addition to her siblings, Inca cavorts with animals of the canine variety, including Terrance and Polo. Charlotte, a Roborovski dwarf hamster, and Monk, a neighbor cat, round out the motley crew. Each character has their own distinct personality, and they are all lovable in their own way. Even Boss, Ned's Rottweiler, turns out to be friendlier than Inca originally thought. Aside from Inca, my favorite character was Fromage. Named after the French cheese, he tends to be “accident-prone and in the habit of getting into all types of scrapes”, leading to a number of funny moments. “Mommy” and “Aunt Florence” also hold minor roles, and I enjoyed their interactions with the animals.

Since this is a children's book, it's full of illustrations, and I loved their cartoonish style. Some of the pictures are tongue-in-cheek, thereby increasing the book's fun factor. For example, page 15 has an illustration of a pair of pants that say “Smarty Pants”, used to highlight Cara's use of that phrase to describe Inca. The font used throughout the book was also distinctive and appealing.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention a few grammatical errors I found. On page 10, “peek” is misspelled as “peak”, and “fire-breathing dragon” is written as “fire-eating dragon” on page 19. Page 30 has an instance of “maybe” being used when it should be “may be”. In addition to these missteps, I noticed a few other possible errors, mostly with punctuation. Since the author lives in France, the things I noticed may actually be more of a difference in style choice than true errors. Regardless, none of the things I noted took away from my enjoyment of the book.

Aside from the possible writing mistakes, some of the language and sentence formation used may be a bit complex for the really young, so while Amazon gives an age level of 5-12, I think it's better for readers on the older end of that scale. I also recommend it for more advanced readers who love a good pet story. It almost goes without saying that I'm happy to give Diary of a Snoopy Cat a glowing 4 out of 4 stars. For those interested, there are 4 other books in the series, and I do plan to read them all. I may even bring a child along for the ride.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Great review of a delightful story. I thought all I would read about cats being in the lead is Puss N Boots, of children's classic fame. Then the comic strip Garfield or Felix. And now, this. Cartoons of Disney have cats always on the receiving end: Tweety, or that mouse that outsmarts the cat, whoosis. I always feel being a child around cats. :tiphat:
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Ha ha ha, @ReyvrexQuestor Reyes; I LOVE books about cats, in particular, since they're my favorite pet. And I love them big OR small, everything from a small tabby cat to a giant lion or panther.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

@MsTri
Ho ho no Panther for me. The biggest I would settle for maybe Catwoman, or Catgirl, much younger.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I like the review but I still don't think I can read the book since I feel like its for children but I sure can recommend the book to my younger sister
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love children's books and the review accompanying this one. For some reason, I was prejudiced against reading this book because of the first one I saw, but your review has placed me a step in its direction. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks for the deets.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love children's books and the review accompanying this one. For some reason, I was prejudiced against reading this book because of the first one I saw, but your review has placed me a step in its direction. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks for the deets.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read the book and had fun with Inca and her entourage. However, I could only give it 3 out of 4 stars. I am a stickler for good grammar, especially for children's books.

I do agree with you that cats think they own their owners. We have cats here in the house with THE ATTITUDE, LOL!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A book written from a feline point of view! Inca was a true cat character - the author really knows cats. I also loved the tongue-in-cheek illustrations. I think the target age group for this book enjoys animal stories. Great review.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

This sounds like a lovely story among the cat community filled with adventure, mystery and character. I have owned two cats and know they have their own personalities and ways about them. I look forward to reading an excerpt.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I just read this one. I had never read the other ones in the series. I did enjoy it, it's humorous and unique, but there are a lot of characters to keep track of! That part was difficult. Definitely a book an adult and child can read together over several nights.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”