Review by Sarah Tariq -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is a non-fiction story of a society riddled with deceit, cruelty and low moral values. Though the story shows the glimpses of humanity in some characters yet it mainly focuses on debauchery, untrustworthy friendship and crookedness of the upper class in society. The author expertly explains all characters with pros and cons.

The story mainly revolves around a protagonist character Darwin, a 17 years old orphan boy. After the death of his parents, he starts living with his aunt. But due to her disability she sends Darwin from Pittsburg to New York to his new guardian Luther. Luther-a famous footballer- is Darwin’s cousin. He is a cruel man who treats him (Darwin) badly and denies access to his inheritance. But there are some characters which have soft corner for Darwin like Granny -an old woman- living in Luther’s mansion, a house manager Mrs. Bonita Thomas, Luther’ security guard Laszlo Forgash and pop singer Sweeney Pale. In the neighborhood Darwin meets a surgeon Dr. Adrian Malvern and his two daughters Helen and Coral. Later Dr. Malverne becomes his mentor. Darwin is committed to achieve his goal to become a doctor and to serve people. He shows interest in Helen and marries her, but her disloyalty creates a sense of hatred in him. In the end he meets Dominique. In her he feels true love.

The author openly portrays the positive and negative traits prevailing in society. The selfishness of society is evident in the story. Each character is in struggle to achieve his or her goal by hook or by crook. When we see the positive side of the story, the case of dismissal of Betsy (daughter of Bonita Thomas) shows a sign of cooperativeness as they (characters) consider themselves a “family.” The author beautifully moves the story forward relating all events in a sequence. His omniscient view of each character kept me on my toe until I finished the story.

The author aptly describes the cultural values of upper class in American society. The poor condition of women in which she is mostly considered a sex symbol is ironical. Unending lust for wealth, debauchery and callousness of attitudes goes throughout the story, which may sadden the reader. But of course he (author) has rightly depicted a reality. The book is free from typos, so I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I hope readers would like it much.

The story contains many bold scenes, which may distract young readers. So I would suggest this book for adult readers who like the intriguing love story and the struggle of a boy to achieve the esteemed position in society.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Review seems vaguely familiar. But, I liked it minus the spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

ValBookReviews wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:04 Review seems vaguely familiar. But, I liked it minus the spoiler alerts.
Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 00:05
ValBookReviews wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:04 Review seems vaguely familiar. But, I liked it minus the spoiler alerts.
Indeed! Keep up the good work!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I agree. Guardian of deceit depicts the society in all its twisted glory. I liked that the book often showed more to characters we assumed were bad. Or showed us characters with potential whose actions eventually disappoint. I feel that this is a true reflection of human nature.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

qsusan wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 13:11 I agree. Guardian of deceit depicts the society in all its twisted glory. I liked that the book often showed more to characters we assumed were bad. Or showed us characters with potential whose actions eventually disappoint. I feel that this is a true reflection of human nature.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”