Review by MaryBurris -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Review by MaryBurris -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by MaryBurris »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought it back.”

Diary of a Snoopy Cat is a children’s book written by R.F. Kristi about a cat that loves to explore. She enjoys it so much, she and her friends have a pet detective agency. The book is written in diary format. Each chapter is a new entry into Inca’s journal about the adventures of her day.

The story is told from the perspective of Inca, who is a cat. At the beginning of the book, Inca introduces the reader to her gang of friends. These friends include cats, dogs, humans, and a hamster. The names of her friends are a little confusing. At one point, I could not remember if one friend was a human or an animal.

World-famous detective Solo lives next door to Inca with his faithful dog, Terrance, and his cat, Monk. Raoul is Solo’s friend. Raoul didn’t return from an expedition in the Himalayas. Solo leaves with Terrance to search for his friend. While Solo and Terrance are away on their trip, Monk arranges a meeting with Inca and her friends. Boss, a neighborhood dog, has a dilemma. He wants Inca and her detective pet friends to help solve a problem. Inca is unsure about Boss as he has the appearance of an aggressive dog.

The author has given us this story in which we can learn several valuable life lessons. We learn about friendships, taking care of our neighbors, and helping those in need. We also learn that in spite of our differences, we can all work together to solve our problems, and not judge others by their looks.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat will appeal to young readers aged 8 to 12. Younger children will also enjoy the story if read to them. Animal lovers and pet owners will enjoy the story. The story takes place in London, but it could have been written for any location and have been just as effective.

The various characters in the book could have been a little more developed as they seemed one dimensional. With a little more description there would have been less confusion. Overall, I enjoyed the story and the personalities of the animals. I would have loved to read more about the other pets to gain a better perspective. Given the confusion and flatness of the characters, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MaryBurris's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Nice review. The story sounds like a fun read. I'm an adult and even I could read this book.
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

Thanks. I'm a bit of a cat lover, so I found it a nice read. I was just confused about the characters in the book, but I think if I slowed down a little and paid closer attention, it wouldn't be so confusing to me.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

As soon as I got introduced to the string of characters in the beginning I had to flip back and give more attention to the descriptions of each and try to create a unique image of each in my mind. I think there are two many characters for a child of 8 or 9 to keep up with especially since they are unlikely to go back in a book as I felt the need to. I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who found that aspect of the story confusing.

I love that Kristi is able to integrate many life lessons into a fun story.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Thank you for the review. The characters were introduced way too quickly. As an adult, I faced the bewilderment of being hit by too many names, all in very quick succession. I wonder how difficult or easy would it be for children to get a grip, considering the book is meant for children to read. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars too but for reasons a little different from yours. You could check out my review of the book if you want.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

My kids and I enjoyed this book too. It’s a fun and suspenseful fable. I appreciate the themes and lessons of determination and the importance of friendship. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Pasmarc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasmarc.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pasmarc »

Thanks marry your review is timely! Am currently reading the book and am enjoying every bit of it. Admittedly am struggling with the characters too! But not withstanding it's fun especially inca's telepathic powers! Hopefully i will be through by monday!
Carmen-17
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen-17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Carmen-17 »

Thank you for such an insightful review. I agree with you about the confusion around all of the different characters. The story would have been more enjoyable with fewer minor characters. I also like how you wrote about the life lessons.
akankunda
Currently Reading: America (book one)
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by akankunda »

This fable with regard to missys family willing to jump in when boss's boss is about to lose the house
Inca"s comforting heart and consolence when monk's family goes to himalayas to save raul this is true depiction of an influential character and child in future.
Irrespective of the negative attitude of boss the fellow animilia kingdom is willing to set aside their diffferences to rescue ned
Kristi"s introduction of the adult world phrases like money is aroot cause of all evils to show the behaviour of porkster and lance s intention to exploit the innocent ned and monk respectively is an educative measure to alert children not to fall prey of the adult world and also be vigilant and alert.
This powerful relationship to the adult world ,teaches children to help each other in cases of friend's having challenges

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”