Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Solaris Seethes (Solar...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Solaris Seethes (Solar...

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a Sci-Fi novel where teleportation, artificial intelligence, wormhole warping, space travel at hyperspeed, among others were common occurrences. And also where ancient myths and legends were given credence. For ironically enough, despite all the advances of science, the theme still relies on ancient prophecies to fulfill its ends.

The prologue is narrated by Solaris, a spaceship, but not just any ordinary spaceship, for that matter. It has an intelligence of its own and has feelings like any sensitive lady. Solaris speaks with a feminine voice, rebukes a wrongdoing like an elderly woman does, and becomes irritated on certain occasions, showing it outright. Solaris could rightly suit the pronoun “she” by these criteria. And she is the ready refuge for Rynah at the most critical moments.

Rynah is a young woman, happy and carefree while employed as Security Officer of Geolab in Lanyr until she met Klanor, who professed love for her, and who caused all her troubles. As a backgrounder, Lanyr is one of the planets of the Lanyran Sector. And Lanyran Sector is one of the 12 sectors of the known universe at the time, known to Marlowe, the grandfather of Rynah, the builder of Solaris. But, oops correction, according to Solaris there were actually 13 sectors. The 13th sector being the Terran, where Earth, our planet, is supposed to be situated.

Rynah’s trouble in particular, and the catastrophic event for the whole of Lanyr, in general, stemmed from the stealing of the crystal by Klanor, just a few weeks after Rynah got an engagement ring from him. With the crystal gone, Lanyr was plunged into chaos because its temperature and weather processes went haywire. It is dying. It is now imperative upon Rynah to recover the crystal quick, with the help of Solaris and four earthlings prophesied in an ancient text.

Four people then from different time periods on earth were teleported to the spaceship. Solon is one of them. Plucked from the period of philosophers of ancient Greece, he provides bits of advice and ideology to the group. From a futuristic time period, 2099 AD, to be precise, they got Tom Sanderson who is an inventor. From the present time, they got Brie Reynolds, a tender girl of 16, a high school student. And from the Viking kingdom, circa 1000 AD, they got Alfric son of Erik. Or simply Alfric. Alfric is a fearless warrior. That is just natural for Norsemen who believe in the glory of dying in battle. Odin reserves for them a place in Valhalla.

It is with this motley group that Rynah embarked on the quest of finding the crystal. And all these times, Klamor and his men, were not remiss in their job of making it harder for Rynah and her group aboard
Solaris. And to add to the trouble, the ancient texts specified further that there were in all 6 crystals to be recovered, lest they fall into the wrong hands.

There were some missing words, and some words interchanged with another similar sounding word. But these nary detract from the readability and comprehensiveness of the novel. And may I bring up this one flaw I perceived with the storyline. I was appalled by the seeming lack of medical facilities in the spaceship, given the advanced technology it professes to have. Nothing for accidents like gas poisoning? Another point for discussion: will it be realistic to think that a civilization, light-years, and light-years away developed a pill for a headache also named “aspirin” as in earth? Notwithstanding all the aforementioned, I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this for the reading of all Sci-Fi fans of all ages.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

This sounds like an unusual sci-fi story, somewhat epic in all that it covers. A sentient ship, while not a completely new idea, is always intriguing. The mix of old prophecies with new technology sounds like it would add depth to the story. It is unfortunate about the apparent lack of medical facilities aboard such a high-tech ship. Thanks for this informative review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I recently read and reviewed this book. I would agree with much of your ideas.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Penny Lee wrote: It is unfortunate about the apparent lack of medical facilities aboard such a high-tech ship. Thanks for this informative review.
Thanks. For a while, I was thinking I might have been ultra critical in my diagnosis of that ship's shortcomings.

-- 10 Nov 2017, 04:31 --

-------------------------------
HouseOfAtticus wrote:I recently read and reviewed this book. I would agree with much of your ideas.
Thanks. I feel reassured I am not alone.

Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Great review! I particularly liked your description of Solaris. I also gave the book 3 stars in my review of it.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Spirit Wandering wrote:Great review! I particularly liked your description of Solaris. I also gave the book 3 stars in my review of it.
Thanks. I felt quite encumbered in my review, this, having been done after so many excellent reviews preceding it. To mention one, yours. So, maybe, If I could make mine just a bit different, I thought, have it nailed. Hence, the side comments I spiced my review with.

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Glad you were able to enjoy this read despite the errors and how unrealistic it seems to have so much advanced technology, but not have good medical facilities. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

hsimone wrote:Glad you were able to enjoy this read despite the errors and how unrealistic it seems to have so much advanced technology, but not have good medical facilities. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
I thought it quite shabby for Brie to be jettisoned right out without receiving any attempt at reviving her first. Or I just missed the part.

Thanks, hsimone

Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for the entertaining review, kabayan. There are mixed reactions to this book, but everyone (far as I know) likes Solaris.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

@Miriam Molina

Thanks. You are welcome. And more power to you.

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I've read some reviews about this book including yours, and they all confirm this is a great book to spend a relaxing weekend. I loved your description of Solaris. It made me laugh. Thanks for the review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Kalin Adi wrote:I've read some reviews about this book including yours, and they all confirm this is a great book to spend a relaxing weekend. I loved your description of Solaris. It made me laugh. Thanks for the review!
Yes, so many reviews preceded mine. I took the effort to make mine different, as possibly I could. Thanks.

Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This is a great review. I've been on the fence about this one because I'm not usually into sci-fi books, but I don't think I'll be reading it thanks to the errors you pointed out.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

@Mallory Whitaker, if you like Star Wars, and other Galactical war epics, this book would not disappoint you. And more sequels were added. Thanks for visiting.

Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

The book seems like a complex read that is worth the time. Great review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”