Review by Cotwani -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love…. At your Service is a novel of other fiction genre, written by Shay Carter. The story is set in England and revolves around Randy Love, a surprise third child, born to his parents almost 18 years after they had their second child. From the very beginning, Randy’s temperament is totally different from those of his 2 older siblings. Shortly after his birth, his mother dies.

The story picks up about 20 years later, when Randy returns home from a one year student exchange program in the United States, a program he undertook after completing 2 of the 4 year Business degree program at the University of Brighton. His father organized for this year in the States upon sensing that Randy had lost interest in his studies and would likely drop out of university. There then begins a detailed account of Randy’s irresponsible lifestyle of drunkenness and women. He drifts through numerous agency jobs, formal employment, many women and a couple accommodation arrangements before relocating to London in search of better employment prospects. His escapades however worsen as he consistently tries to connive his way out of pulling his weight in a number of shared accommodation arrangements. He is almost rendered homeless as a result, but one of the women he sleeps with, takes him in. After exploiting her generosity as usual, he leaves her without a backward glance, the moment he gets better accommodation. This life of debauchery, poor planning and irresponsibility continues until his sister finally talks some sense into him.

What I found positive about the book was the fact that the characters were vividly drawn, making the story easy to follow as it revolved around Randy as the main character; his father as his benefactor; his father’s friend Michael as his confidant; his brother, sister and close friends as his support group. The central theme, which seemed to be Randy’s irresponsible lifestyle as he drifted through life completely unaware of how his actions affected him or others, also resonated clearly throughout the book. The book had some humorous moments, like Randy’s dad reprimanding his dog for messing on the neighbor’s lawn.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because even though the central theme resonated all through, I found Randy, as the main character and without an explanation for his worldview, inconsiderate, irresponsible, self centered, conniving and outright rude. To make matters worse, he remained oblivious of these vices, despite many attempts by people close to him, to awaken him to the truth. With the story line unfolding so slowly, it became harder and harder to like Randy. In fact, the plot to have him reform at the end of the book, came across as being too little too late. In other words, this redeeming plot emerged too late to go to bat for him. In addition, the book has serious grammatical issues that continually interfere with the flow of the story. The author constantly switches between narrating the story in past participle and simple past tenses which confounds the reader. For example, the book begins by stating that John and Marjorie Love ‘had married’ at twenty three and twenty four respectively. There are many run-on sentences and some sentences are so long, I had to read them more that once to follow them. The book also has poorly constructed sentences, missing words and inappropriate word/phrase usage, which creates confusion. For example in Chapter 1 Randy’s sister is described as being ‘with a similar curvy figure to her mother’ and the recount in Chapter 2 of the neighbor returning her hands on her hips goes thus ‘…..her hands had been replaced on her hips but the color had drained from her face…..’

I am at loss as to who I could recommend this book to. Randy’s drunken, irresponsible, playboy lifestyle may corrupt younger readers while vexing mature readers because he never seems to improve or learn from his mistakes. If the book undergoes some serious editing and rearrangement of the plot, it can easily rate 4 out of 4 stars.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
AdaJude
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by AdaJude »

Sounds like an interesting story despite your rating. I'll probably have to check around for other perspectives before I pick this one. But your review has piqued my interest. Good work.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

AdaJude wrote:Sounds like an interesting story despite your rating. I'll probably have to check around for other perspectives before I pick this one. But your review has piqued my interest. Good work.
Thanks. Please by all means read the book. Like they say, I may not have liked it but somebody else probably will and would bring up another perspective that I missed.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Great review, aptly advised, I'll stay away.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks. No harm in trying it for yourself though!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I'll try, I've been seeing it around. But its been receiving consistently low reviews.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

juliusotinyo wrote:I'll try, I've been seeing it around. But its been receiving consistently low reviews.
I think if the book is professionally edited, restructured and Randy given some redeeming quality, it would make a good read.
-Walt Disney
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Your review is consistent with others I have read about this book. I liked that you pointed out that the author does not present Randy's worldview in a way that would explain his behavior. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Your review is consistent with others I have read about this book. I liked that you pointed out that the author does not present Randy's worldview in a way that would explain his behavior. Thanks for the review.
Thanks. I thought knowing the why of Randy's behavior could help the reader understand or empathize with him.
-Walt Disney
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like a book that did not undergo professional editing. This will make it a difficult read for me. I wish the author will take your review serious and have it edited. Nice review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for reading the review and replying
-Walt Disney
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I have seen this book around and agree with your judgement on the book. The irresponsible behaviour of Randy was the main reason I did not read this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

The Researcher wrote:I have seen this book around and agree with your judgement on the book. The irresponsible behaviour of Randy was the main reason I did not read this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
I know, people generally prefer to see some improvement on a bad streak. Thanks for stopping by.
-Walt Disney
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I would stay away until a reprint that is properly edited and matters raised corrected is issued.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's a pity there were so many issues. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”