Review by ebethina -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Review by ebethina -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by ebethina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darwin Hastings becomes an orphan at a young age. He lived with his Aunt in Pittsburgh until she lost her lower left leg to diabetes and had to be transferred to a nursing facility. During his junior year of highschool, he moves in with his cousin Luther Pinnelli. Luther is a famous football player and lives in a mansion near the Hamptons.

Luther and Darwin do not hit it off. Darwin ends up living in one of the worst rooms that is way too small. Luther planned it on purpose so the other bedrooms are available for guests. On top of that, Darwin has a hard time getting his allowance from Luther. Darwin tried to talk Luther into enrolling him in private school, but had to transition to public school. Luther would not allow him to go to private school. Darwin has to find a way to make a living because Luther will not help him out financially.

Sweeney is a very popular singer and eventually becomes engaged to Luther. Most of the time, Luther is not around. Darwin and Sweeney start spending more time together. One time, they end up on a boat where a man ends up dead. In the end, no one knows if it was an accident or on purpose. When Luther and Sweeney finally get married, Sweeney figures out Luther isn't the person she thought he was. Meanwhile, Darwin enters the dating scene. A couple of woman become attracted to him, but doesn't last long. Darwin is more interested in his studies to become a doctor.

Eventually, Darwin does become involved in a long term relationship leading to marriage. Later, a missing person has everyone in town searching to find the missing body to lead to any clues to solve the mystery. Luther becomes a person of interest, along with a swimming coach. Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is about Luther being the Guardian for Darwin. Luther is a millionaire living the life of the rich and famous. Often, getting himself into trouble with drugs. Can Darwin and Sweeney change Luther into a better person?

I really enjoyed this story. The author did a very good job describing the characters so it is easy to follow the story line. When extra characters were added, I could easily determine why they were in the story. This is a short and easy read. Even though I prefer thick books, sometimes I need a break to read shorter ones. I appreciated the short chapters in the story, making it a faster read for me.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were no mistakes or misspelled words. The story had all kinds of excitement in it. From romance to mystery to action, you name it. This book has it. I have never heard of this author before and would like to try some more of his stories. I highly recommend this book to people 18 years and older.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ebethina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oops... this review, I think I read elsewhere. But enjoyed minus spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I liked your review but it s full of spoilers and focuses on the summary of the story. I really liked Darwin's character and personality. I wonder if anyone feels the same as I do?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”