Review by Shirazi Cat -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirazi Cat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirazi-cat.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by Shirazi Cat -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Shirazi Cat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We toms are famous for our inquisitive spirit, and the protagonist of Puffy and The Formidable Foe is not an exception to the rule. He is out to explore the world. Although curiosity does not kill this cat (which is fortunate, for such a turn of events would have probably shocked readers in the age group at which this book is aimed) it does get him in serious trouble, namely in that perennial torture chamber of every self-respecting feline – the bathtub. To find out how the workaday business of “hunting for a rat,” which Puffy shares with so many of his own kind, leads him to so awesome a predicament, one will have to read the book.

Sometimes a distinction is drawn, in discussions of literature for children, between the book with pictures and the illustrated book. The former is the more conventional kind, where the text is simply accompanied by pictures which, in the crudest type of such a book, used to bear little or even no relation to the text. The latter is that kind of book where pictures are integrated with the text in more meaningful and significant ways. Indeed, in the more ambitious type of illustrated books (The Tale of Peter Rabbit is a classic example), the relation between the two elements may give rise to sophisticated effects – with, say, an illustration subverting the meaning of the text or vice versa. While it would probably be unfair to call the present book simply a book with pictures, for its pictures do illustrate the narrated action in a plain manner, I could not find any evidence of the sort of interaction which an adult reader might find interesting.

The drawings themselves seem basic. They actually give the impression not only of being meant for a child but of having been produced by one. I am not sure if this is good or bad, but it is certainly the book’s most striking feature. The story is written in verse which rhymes but does not always scan very well, particularly with this lineation. One might say that I am being overly pedantic, this being, after all, only a children’s book, but when one puts a line that doesn’t quite scan after one that does, the result can be somewhat unmelodious: “So after that day, Puffy made a great vow; / to stay clear when a “kitty-cat” didn’t meow.” (p. 18) The rhyming, too, is handled a little heavy-handedly in one instance: “He purred and played, / till on the scene, / came a small, whiskered / “Kitty” with odor obscene.” (p. 11) Finally, there is a tendency to use quotation marks without reason, as in the “ 'yucky' shampoo” (p. 17) with which the protagonist is bathed. Since Puffy obviously finds the shampoo yucky there is no reason to qualify this sentiment with quotes.

I am also a little skeptical regarding the book’s ideology. Now, before the reader loses all patience and demands just what the heck I am doing with this kiddies' book – discussing, first, pictorial function, then versification, and now ideology – let me quote the author herself: “Above all, please take this book seriously, and give of your time to discuss the importance of its message with those you love.” (p. 20) The message in question, as far as I could tell, is not to stray from home, and to avoid contact with those unlike oneself. Personally, I don’t find this a very good moral, even in a cautionary tale for children.

Despite its charmingly alliterative title, I wasn’t greatly impressed by this book. It seems to me neither particularly well written, nor particularly well drawn. But, since I am not a child reader, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shirazi Cat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Dr Nefarious
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-nefarious.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Dr Nefarious »

This is the fifth review that i've read of this book, and the first to state that "don't ever trust anyone" is not an ideal message, even for a kid. Should i add that easy morals of this sort are the mark of cheap children's literature?
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Thanks for your reply. I obviously agree with you about the "message." And while "cheap" is a little unfair, this didn't seem to me like a very carefully executed book.
Astrophil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Astrophil »

"this didn't seem to me like a very carefully executed book."

Talk about understatement!
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Astrophil wrote:"this didn't seem to me like a very carefully executed book."

Talk about understatement!
It turns out the drawings were actually made by a kid. But, as I mention in the review, the verse itself is not exactly stellar. So, yes, I guess you are right.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Dr Nefarious wrote:This is the fifth review that i've read of this book, and the first to state that "don't ever trust anyone" is not an ideal message, even for a kid. Should i add that easy morals of this sort are the mark of cheap children's literature?
I gave the book a higher rating....but enjoyed looking at it this way. Didn't think of it before. Good points made.

I enjoyed the pictures though....the child draws and colours better than me!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:
Dr Nefarious wrote:This is the fifth review that i've read of this book, and the first to state that "don't ever trust anyone" is not an ideal message, even for a kid. Should i add that easy morals of this sort are the mark of cheap children's literature?
I gave the book a higher rating....but enjoyed looking at it this way. Didn't think of it before. Good points made.

I enjoyed the pictures though....the child draws and colours better than me!
Contrasting opinions are what makes discussing books fun! Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Love the "throw down" over reviews of a children's book. I really like your comment about contrasting opinions. I really enjoyed your very serious review of this book. Thank you!
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Thank you very much for commenting!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I reviewed this book as well. I'm so sorry that you never enjoyed reading that book. Nice review.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”