Review by CambaReviewer -- Who Told You That You Were Na...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CambaReviewer
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cambareviewer.html
Latest Review: Twisted mind by Ellen m. Mckizzie
2022 Reading Goal: 52
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by CambaReviewer -- Who Told You That You Were Na...

Post by CambaReviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who told you that you were Naked? is an expository analysis of the biblical account of what happened in the Garden of Eden. It is a thoroughly researched and extensive exposition written by William E. Combs who has been a preacher and Bible teacher for several decades and as such can be presumed to be knowledgeable enough to write on this subject. The book is made up of ten chapters. The first three chapters recount graphically the events that occurred in first four chapters of the book of Genesis and the other seven chapters discuss issues arising from the earlier chapters. Graphic descriptions of the events that occurred in the Garden of Eden make them real and come alive in the mind of readers. While these ‘fictional adaptations or narratives’ may not be entirely theologically accurate, creating word pictures brought the Bible texts to light and helped me understand the stories better. The author would probably make a good fiction writer as his depictions ‘show’ Eden more than ‘tell’ about Eden. The last few chapters are a bit tedious and some readers might find those chapters a bit of a struggle to read.

Three types of death are described in the book – physical, relational and spiritual. They are believed to have come into effect as a result of Adam’s disobedience. I found this intriguing because I had never heard of ‘relational death’ before. The author postulates that women have greater sensibilities to the things of God and felt that this was why Eve was deceived by the devil's suggestion that eating the fruit would make her ‘more like God.’ I could relate a little to this. However I do not agree with the author’s attempt to explain God’s pronouncement on Adam and Eve after their disobedience as non-punitive. In my opinion, they were punished even if eventually some good inadvertently resulted from the effect of that punishment. Chapter 3 of the book contains a very graphic account of the undercurrents that may have resulted in the first murder recorded in the Bible. I found this account of what might have made Cain kill his brother Abel extremely plausible.

‘In our anxiety we may want the Lord to resolve the situation with our desired remedy without first learning what His solution for us might be.’ - William E. Combs

The statement above particularly touched me as I realized that sometimes even before I approach God in prayer I have already decided the solution to the problem I am praying about, without finding out if that is the way He wants to solve it! The book contains the author’s account of some personal experiences and testimonies relating to the topics discussed. This can help readers connect easily to the message on a personal note. Study questions are provided at the end of each chapter. I tried answering or reflecting on some of them, but I think the questions are best answered by a group of people such as in Bible study classes, Christian book clubs or Church group meetings.The book appeared to have been professionally edited with only a few typos.

I liked the fresh perspective the book brought to the Biblical account of what transpired in the Garden of Eden and so I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to pastors, churches and curious readers who want a clearer understanding of the early chapters of the book of Genesis, or people who want to know a bit more about God and Christianity.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”