Review by mumoscar -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by mumoscar -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by mumoscar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love and hate have been rivals as long as the earth has existed, and this war may persist through generations. Is it possible to curb hate and magnify love? The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes is a non-fiction booklet that describes the tag of war between love and hate, through the life of an infamous former Stanford University swimmer, Brock Turner.

Brock Turner is found guilty of 3 felonies of sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman and sentenced to 6 months incarceration. This has aroused an outrage on the social media with the claim that Brock deserves a harsher sentence for his inhuman actions. It's from this point that the author puts in writing hard to swallow sentiments, that the booklet gets banned by Amazon in just a few days. The original title "I Love Brock Turner" was a catalyst to misinformed complaints with Hughes appearing to support Brock's violent actions.

This isn't an easy narrative to write or convince people to buy; because it's easy to hate than to love, as the author puts it. Hughes brings another unpopular view in dealing with crimes that get the reader's mind rolling with questions, unable to comprehend the meaning of his words. We live in a world where a criminal of any sort deserves hate. However, this booklet promotes love than hate.

What I liked about the book is that it opened my eyes to a new world. I must admit that it's not easy to love a rapist; especially when the victim is a relative. After reading the book, it's clear we can capitalize on loving the convict more than we hate. The booklet also urges us to divert more resources into preventing and dealing with crimes. The author even goes ahead to quote religion; that we should love our enemies and pray for them. Unfortunately, when enemies provoke us, the first thoughts we have are for hate. My conclusion is that this book's reception depends on the reader's background, past life experiences, and the willingness to change the way we deal with crime and criminals.

I didn't bump into any grammar or spelling errors as I read through; the booklet is also sufficiently edited, making it easy for readers to keep up with the author. This being a sensitive subject, the booklet is not suitable for immature readers. Adults who also find this book vexatious, may also not want to read it. However, any adult that want change will definitely need to read this book. Overall, I rate this booklet 4 out of 4 stars due to the author's excellent work.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like mumoscar's review? Post a comment saying so!
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Regrettably hatred has continued to grow amongst humans. I hope people will learn to love even when people commit great crimes.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It's interesting you mentioned this book opened your eyes, as a revelation. Good review!
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

The book seems very interesting and you have given a very insight of the book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I loved this book. I feel that the reviews have done justice to this book. It is wonderfully written, and so is your review! :D
VictoriaOgun
Currently Reading: The Lightening Thief
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by VictoriaOgun »

The review sounds real and meaningful,I might read it
EVANSO
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by EVANSO »

I wonder how many humans would love someone that just committed a crime. The first reaction is always hatred.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

Wow, wow, wow. This book seems to discuss such a common concept using a very taboo subject. I love that you were able to describe what message the author was trying to convey. I agree love is always better than hate, though it is easier to hate than to love. Great review!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Ryan Neufeld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ryan Neufeld »

A solid summary take on the book. I wonder how you feel about his solutions to the conundrum posed? Did the questions it raised for you get answered? How did you feel about the original title choice? My initial response was similar to your own (or at least your review) but as I read it a second time, and contemplated the questions he raises I began to wonder why he offers so few practical or even philosophical answers? It works for me as a trigger text, but fell flat after that.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”