Review by Toshia -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Review by Toshia -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Toshia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darwin Hastings is going to live with his new guardian, Luther Pennelli, after his aunts passing. He hopes to find the love that he seen in his parents before they died, and at the same time, strive to become a doctor like his father. What he really finds when thrown into the company of his famous athlete cousin and upscale neighborhood are crooks, unworthiness, and people who will do whatever it takes to climb the social ladder. In his quest to become a doctor, he discovers that the funding behind scientific studies is managed by money mongrels with financial gain in mind.

Where should I start with this book? I will admit, I have a "love, hate" relationship with it. Personally, I find conniving, self-righteous people abhorrent. It was difficult for me to read about degrading people because of their bank account and social status. Reading lines like, "She liked the idea of making him feel bad about not being good enough for Exeter," and "How irritating! Her father supporting this Midwestern Hayseed," really hit a nerve for me.

What I liked most about the story is the concept. In every aspect of life, you will come across people who manipulate for personal gain. This story showed what it is like to struggle through these kinds of people while trying to succeed in life. It showed that, sometimes, it is hard to distinguish who is truly there for you, or who is there for what they can gain from you. Everyone's true intentions show eventually, but at what cost in the end? Darwin had these people coming at him in every direction. His cousin, mentor, friends, and love interest had it out for him in some way. He handled himself very well in situations. He never let these people hold him back from what he wanted in life. Even with the everyone stacked against him, he still fought to come out on top. However, this is the only thing I enjoyed about the book.

What I didn't like about the book was the execution. Most of the time, it would jump from one topic to another without any natural flow to it. I had to reread sections at times to figure out how I got from subject to another. This seems to contain major time lapses, and I felt there should have been more details for the present before jumping a few months ahead. It left me wondering what the outcome of situations was and if I would be given a conclusion to them. There were times when the author would switch from one character's thoughts to another in the same paragraph, without a smooth transition. This caused me to reread sections to figure out what was going on, and who was speaking. It became very tedious just to keep track with what was going on. In the end, I was disappointed. Between the time hasty time lapses and chaotic character narrative, the story felt rushed.

I give this book a 1 out of 4. The only reason I am able to rate it, at all, is the idea behind the book. I really believe it would've been a great story to behold if it was written differently. A presentation is everything.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Toshia's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's interesting. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with this author. They either love his style or they hate it. I personally enjoy his books and the fact that they are more character driven. However, I guess that's why they have so many different kinds of books out there.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Toshia. I recall that you enjoyed Raven's Peak. Perhaps that genre is what suits your taste best. William Coles is more of a reflective writer, finding his stories in ordinary situations.

I do appreciate your opinion about the book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Miriam Molina wrote:

William Coles is more of a reflective writer, finding his stories in ordinary situations.
I wonder if this aspect is what separates those of us that seem to love Coles' work from those who really do not like his work. There are definitely polarizing opinions out there.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html

Post by Toshia »

Miriam Molina wrote:I recall that you enjoyed Raven's Peak. Perhaps that genre is what suits your taste best. William Coles is more of a reflective writer, finding his stories in ordinary situations.

I completely agree with you on this. I typically go for Paranormal or Romance. I always want to read something with a strong, snarky female character so I feel I relate to a character in some way. I read to escape life and it's trials. I like to emerse myself into a whole new and impossible world. I can see how this hits too close to reality for me, rather than an escape from reality.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh no, it appears this review has been copied. I like it, of course, minus spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”