Review by Gingerbo0ks -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Gingerbo0ks -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“This is the Olympic Peninsula. This is a land of magic, history, and legend. A place of myth, ancient stories, ancient people.”

Magic, history, and legend definitely feature in Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon. There are many themes in this book. There is much to discuss and think about. Themes include history, family, coming of age, and trust.

The story starts with Tom, William, and Myra who are getting ready to set off on a camping trip through the Olympic National Park to visit the grave of Tom’s grandfather. Tom’s ex-wife, Ruth unexpectedly turns up at his door with a grandchild that he knows nothing about. The girl, Sarah, appears to be a moody teenager with an attitude. Myra suggests bringing Sarah along on the trip.

On their journey, they discover an artefact known as an atlatl. There is a corporation named Buckhorn who wants the land for development purposes. The group believes the discovery of this ancient relic could put a stop to that, and prevent the area of beauty from being modernised. Suddenly, Sarah goes missing. She is gone for eight days. Upon her shocking return, she has a story that is questionable and divides opinions through the group.

For me, the main draw of Strong Heart is the beautiful setting. It is clear the author has done his research and went to great efforts to describe the scenery and the journey. He has a wonderful way of building a good picture in your imagination. I never found any of the description tiring or repetitive.

I enjoyed the sparring between the characters of Sergei and Myra. Sergei is a man of science, and Myra believes in the legends. They are both stubborn when they argue, and I found their debates entertaining to read. I also liked reading the action scenes. I can’t say much without giving plot points away, but they held my attention and were very tense.

Unfortunately, there were parts in Strong Heart that I did not care for. The book contains a secondary story within the main plot, where the reader gets transported to the past to experience the tale of a young girl named Strong Heart. I found it difficult to adjust to Strong Heart’s story at first, which was a bit off-putting. I also felt it went on a little longer than necessary, but this is my personal preference. I preferred reading about the events of the group.

I did not like the ending very much. I appreciate that the author may want to set up for a sequel, but I feel many things were left without a conclusion. I do not wish to give away the ending, but I would have liked to have seen more of a resolution to the group’s conflict with Buckhorn. It would also have been nice to have some more focus on the bond between Tom and Sarah at the end since I feel their relationship is important.

I would recommend Strong Heart to a variety of readers. It would suit those interested in the outdoors, science, nature, and legends. The easy flow of dialogue and short sentence structure makes for easy reading, but some of the subject matter brought up in places stops me from recommending this book to younger teens.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although the ending didn’t satisfy me, Strong Heart was engaging enough to make me care about the characters and their journey. Unfortunately, I can’t rate it higher because I found it hard to follow the events in Strong Heart's point of view.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gingerbo0ks's review? Post a comment saying so!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I read this book as well and ended up rating it 4 stars, though in hindsight I'm wishing I had given it a 3/4. I had the same qualms that you did. Thought it was an interesting setting but the plot kind of lost me halfway through.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Ashley Simon wrote:I read this book as well and ended up rating it 4 stars, though in hindsight I'm wishing I had given it a 3/4. I had the same qualms that you did. Thought it was an interesting setting but the plot kind of lost me halfway through.
Yea I couldn't quite give it a 4, but it's nice to know someone had similar thoughts. Thanks for commenting on my review!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I agree with your review, I reviewed the book too and gave it the same rating. Great job with the review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I haven't read this book yet, but I've seen several positive reviews for it. Although I don't think I care to read books where the plot loses the reader halfway through. Great review, Gingerbo0ks.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks for your comments @geoffreyngoima and @kislany :)

If you find time to read this Kislany, you may enjoy it, I feel there is something in it for everyone, and I've enjoyed the discussions in BOTM. However, one could also argue that there is no need to pursue a book you may get lost in or find too slow.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Am still debating on if I should read this book or not. Thanks for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

It is always interesting to me to see the different things about a book that work for each reader. I am glad I read it. Thanks for the nice review. :)
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

@ritah Thanks for your comments :) there's definitely mixed reviews on this book but most people have liked it I think.

Thank you for stopping by too @katberg, looking forward to seeing more of your reviews.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:@ritah Thanks for your comments :) there's definitely mixed reviews on this book but most people have liked it I think.

Thank you for stopping by too @katberg, looking forward to seeing more of your reviews.
It seems so, that's what makes it even more tempting. ha!
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

I am currently reading this book and it seems very good till now. I am enjoying reading it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks for reading my review @reetaulakh :) I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I love books that immerse you in beautiful settings and scenes. This sounds like a great adventure.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks for your comments @kelebogilembangi it definitely is an adventure! It was a great choice for BOTM.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The book sounds like a nice adventure. Nice review!
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”