Review by naynag96 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
naynag96
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naynag96.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Review by naynag96 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by naynag96 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most seventeen year biggest problems include their social lives, who is dating who, what to ware and keeping up with the newest trend. For Darwin Hastings those are the least of his worries. Darwin is an orphan aspiring to be a doctor and up until he got saddled with Luther Pinnelli his new ego centric, somewhat villainous football star guardian his dreams seemed to be only a minute away, Darwin was a good student at one of the best schools. Luther turns this all around denying Darwin not only his inheritance but also a great education that. Thrown into a prison of sorts Darwin is forced by Luther to basically fight, and fend for anything he wants/needs. Fortunately Darwin finds refuge with the other prisoners of the mansion Mrs. Thomson the commander like house manager, Sweeney a fun loving pop star chained by her incomprehensible undying love for the devilish Luther and an odd little granny. Darwin also fortunately is taken under the wing of an exceptional Doctor Malvern who introduces him to his mismanaged family including his two spirited daughters. Could this absurd set of circumstances deter Darwin from his lifelong dream, could love be in the air, will they help him fulfill the dream or will Darwin do it on his own as per Luther’s ludicrous teachings?

Guardian of Deceit by William. H. Coles is classified as other fictional. The book focuses on the life of an orphan who is forced to change guardians at the age of seventeen his new guardian is forbidding, unpleasant and does not seem to care much for him. Guardian of Deceit is extremely well written the writer paid meticulous attention to the use of words in the book. I was in absolute awe of the careful construction of each sentence. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of learning new words, each new word challenged me and this was tremendously refreshing. However the constant breaking from the book to gain an understanding of most sentences caused me to disconnect and see the book as more of a school assignment then a leisurely read.

Although the story line of the book seem like a marvelous read the book itself seemed like it was trying too hard and due to the constant breaking away I definitely struggled through the book finding it strenuous to read just a few pages without feeling as though I had been doing an assignment on sleep apnea having to constantly research every other sentence. It became more and more of task to read the book as I continued on.

I didn’t have time to connect with characters, be transported into their world or even be sympathetic to the situations the main character was faced with due to the fact that the book quickly became a chore to read. I definitely like the idea of the book so much but the way it was written stunned my actual enjoyment of the novel itself. Truly a shame because the storyline and the concept behind the book was phenomenal.

I once watched a movie that describe reading books by saying, “when reading a book you can be a princes, travel to far off land and even slay a dragon all from the comfort of your home” and this is what I love about reading. When reading a book I love to be sucked in, I use books as an escape at the end of my day. Unfortunately Guardian of Deceit was a great idea when I read the description of the book and William. H. Coles seems like a genius, a spectacular author who put a great deal of thought into every detail of the book. I disliked being almost constantly being snapped back to reality because of this I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The book wasn’t horrible but I was bored eventually, and unable to enjoy the book.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like naynag96's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Very interesting review with several spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”