Review by EWanyoike -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EWanyoike
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Digital Fortress</a>
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewanyoike.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Review by EWanyoike -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by EWanyoike »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The guardian of Deceit by William H Cole is a very nice book should you be looking for a piece of light reading. It follows the life of a young Orphan, Darwin Hastings, who on his aunt’s ailment is forced to live with his rich athlete cousin, Luther Pinnelli. This book has an endearing quality about it that makes one root for Darwin.

Darwin’s expectations are quite far from what he encounters. His allowance is not given to him and he is also expected to fund his upkeep. He encounters a mean granny with the habit of trying to outplay him at scrabble. He also comes across a not-so-friendly house manager whose walls he eventually breaks down. His immediate friend is the driver and security who help him find a work around in getting a small I come. He makes friends at his abode and professionally.

Darwin’s love life is a roller coaster, ranging from unrequited love to demanding and eventually a committed relationship. He encounters them all. As the book proceeds we see Darwin gets a steady income, make friends in high places and even gains admittance into a prestigious school. Eventually he proceeds to begin to follow his passions aided by a wealthy neighbor whose assistance is not as open and well-meaning as it seems. His guardian on the other hand faces many challenges, from blackmail to being forced to throw a game. He also faces allegations of drug use and suspicion of murder. Luther is not one to ask for help and tries to ignore the helping hand of his family and friends.

Unlike most books this one does not have a Disney like flow to its structure. It relates to real life possibilities. The ending itself is one that moist people experience due to its realism. It’s a well written book that has one getting interested the more one reads it. The imagery helps one feel involved visually enough to picture the happening as they go along. I actually read the book in one sitting due to the author’s ability in managing to draw and keep me interested in the narrative.

There are a few errors within the book. For instance, on page 218 a line reads ‘He wondered if Helen were gay’ instead of ‘was gay’. Such errors however did not take from the story. I give the book a rating of 2 out of 4. This is pot because it was poorly written but because it could have used more depth in the story line. I would recommend this book to those into light reading and a bit of realism.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like EWanyoike's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Wow.... I thought so when I read the sample pages. But was not expecting the spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”