Review by Leyla -- 30th Century: Escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Leyla -- 30th Century: Escape

Post by Leyla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape written by Dr. Mark Kingston Levin, PHD, is a romance and science fiction novel, starting in the 30th century and ending in the 21st century. The book is based on scientific research from his work on the Mars and Apollo projects, as well as, research done by other persons.

30th Century: Escape tells the story of a 30th century Secret Society agent, Captain Jennifer Hero. She was responsible for taking a team of SS agents back in time to save the 'Naturals' without the Syndos becoming aware. However, Jennifer has her own mission in mind; to reunite with her lover who was assassinated, and to see the world as it was before the Syndos.

Just as the teams are about to travel back in time, Jennifer abandoned the team to accomplish her dreams in the 21st century. When Jennifer arrives in the 21st century, she fakes amnesia to prevent her true identity from being discovered. She makes this century her home, making discoveries and making a name for herself. While making archeological and scientific discoveries, Jennifer also discovers things about herself that she never would have imagined. She had changed her name to Hero after her boyfriend was assassinated. However, Jennifer discovers that Jennifer Hero of the 21st century looks like her, and they both have a lot in common. She starts to wonder what is the truth. Did she truly have amnesia? Is there a scientific explanation for the discoveries about herself? Did the time travel alter the past? Throughout the book we are left with these questions until Dr. Levin answers these questions at the end of the book.
Marty is a Professor at the University and one of Jennifer's rescuers. They are both attracted to each other and later find that they share similar interests. They fall in love and continue their lives, supporting each other and exploring the things life has to offer.

The story is told in the third person, exploring the world of science, archeology and sex. There are many romance scenes throughout the novel. Some scenes were very detailed as well as some bisexual and should only be read by mature readers only. Although there were a lot of sex scenes, it did not take away from the plot. I started skipping most of the sex scenes when they started to become too much for me as the story unfolded.

I enjoyed reading the descriptive tour of the Islands, as well as the archeological sites and history of the Islands. Some scenes made me feel as though I was there.

The book ended with a poem from Jennifer. Leaving the reader to wonder what was the response to the poem. Did Jennifer and Marty's love survive the truth?

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for the good use of scientific knowledge and interesting archeological sites. There were a few grammatical errors towards the middle of the book, but nothing too distracting. My biggest deterrence was the constant sex scenes. Otherwise, a good science, romance for a mature audience.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leyla's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book is November's book of the month, and I am preparing to read it. I hope the sex scenes will not bother me too much.

Leyla, I am assuming you are Pinay. Am I right?
Leyla

Post by Leyla »

Hi Miriam Molina. I am Jamaican.

The book has a lot of threesome's and lesbian scenes. So be prepared for them.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Glad you enjoyed the read. But, I'm not into sci-fi erotic fiction and spoiler alerts. Thanks for the review.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

A very nice and comprehensive review of the book!! I read and reviewed the book too and share your opinion that the sex scenes were a little overdone. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy a well written erotic scene as much as the next reader, but here there were too many, unnecessary scenes and written in a very mechanical manner.
Also the ease with which Jennifer adapts to the social framework of a civilization 900 years before her time is a little unreal!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Oh, I love time travel, but steamy books are not my thing. Thanks for the info.
Leyla

Post by Leyla »

Manali_DC wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 05:52 A very nice and comprehensive review of the book!! I read and reviewed the book too and share your opinion that the sex scenes were a little overdone. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy a well written erotic scene as much as the next reader, but here there were too many, unnecessary scenes and written in a very mechanical manner.
Also the ease with which Jennifer adapts to the social framework of a civilization 900 years before her time is a little unreal!
You are right! How was she able to adapt to a time she was unfamiliar with? Even the team that she abandoned. They should not have found it so easy to blend in.
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

I am not a fan of sci-fiction but I will add it to my to read list base on your review it sounds interesting.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Leyla

Post by Leyla »

Kiisme wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 15:44 I am not a fan of sci-fiction but I will add it to my to read list base on your review it sounds interesting.
Thanks Kiisme I hope you enjoy this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”