Review by Job Njoroge -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Job Njoroge -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Job Njoroge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Samyann Yesterday is a historical fiction novel set in the United States from 1870s to the 21century. The book is about a young lady named Amanda who saves the life of a police officer in Chicago and becomes famous for it. Friendship blossoms between them and leads to a relationship between her and the officer Mark Callahan. Amanda is however sceptical about the relationship after having lost many of her loved ones including her parents at a young age and very recently Joe who was her fiancee. She is convinced that everyone she loves is destined to die very soon.

Mary is Amanda's godmother and she helps her pick the pieces of her life together and start afresh. Amanda remembers being in an antique shop the day she saved Mark's life and got injured. She saw an old watch that she is unable to keep out of her mind. She decides to buy it but the owner knows very little about it since it is from the eighteenth century. The clock chimes and the sound is very familiar to Amanda though she cannot explain how. She also says that Mark is familiar though they had never met before the day of the accident where she saves Mark's life. Mark who had studied medicine for two years but was forced to drop out after the death of his father who was a police officer suggests regression. This is a dangerous practice that has not been scientifically proven and has many unanswered questions which makes Mary who is a psychologist to be apprehensive at first but she then agrees. The regression sessions take Amanda to her other life during the American civil war. She is a young girl named Bonnie under the care of two slaves who are Magdalene and Ben. She has a cousin Jack and her father is John. They live in Charleston in the Southern States. It is here that Bonnie first encounter bells that chime like her clock. They belong to St Michael's church and are only able to survive the war by being hidden from confederate soldiers who have been confiscating bells and melting them to make weapons. John decides they must free and he dies on way but Magdalene and Ben take care of the children till they reach a railway station. Here they meet Penelope who warns Ben and Magdalene against going to Chicago since they may be sold again as slaves despite having papers from John showing they have been set free. Penelope takes the children with her to Chicago where she works as a nurse and takes care of the children as her own.

The regression sessions continue and take a heavy toll on Amanda to the point that she almost crushes. Mark tries to stop the sessions but is unable. Many of the sessions bring more about suffering and not happiness like the Chicago fire. Amanda is soon able to regress on her own and she discovers more. With so much suffering in her life she is convinced that there is no happiness but Mary tells her to concentrate on something that would make her happy and for the first time she sees her mother in her life as Bonnie who died when she was very young. Mark also regresses but with little success. In the end Amanda discovers that Mark was her lover in her life as Bonnie and she had some happy moments.

My favorite part is how Samyann has developed the characters in the book especially Amanda, Mark and Mary who are the mainstay of the story. Also how the author has introduced new characters to develop the plot and the main character. Weaving the two stories together without causing confusion on the reader is a great feat worth praise. The excellent flow and high momentum of the book ensures that the reader does not get bored and is able to understand the story is another point. The book explains the horrors of war that many innocent people suffer and are subjected to in the event of war like the death of John. The book shows how people suffer and that at all costs we should avoid war. It also addresses serious issues that affected the 19century societies and still affect today's modern societies i.e. discrimination.

The great themes discussed in the book are love, suffering and loss and also slavery. The book is professionally edited and I was unable to find faults in it however much I tried.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars but would give it five if possible. I highly recommend the book to others readers especially those going through rough times. Also teens and young adults. Lovers of historical fiction novels are most welcome to read it. The book is well researched and accurate which is a great thing.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Job Njoroge's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I can feel your enthusiasm spilling over, Job Njoroge. One reviewer insists that the reader read Yesterday today. This seems like a very compelling story. Amanda is apparently the one for whom the bell tolls.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This genre and the themes are just my cup of tea; I think I'll pick this up as soon as I have an opening. Thank for the detailed review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Living a life where there is a different life referred to as 'Yesterday' is just interesting. I like the way Amanda relates people in 'today' with those in 'yesterday.' Sounds like a nice read. Thank you for this review.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Great to read such a positive review. I enjoy historical fiction and this sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review, Job!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've read a few more reviews about this book, and they were all quite positive about it, just like yours. I guess it's time I pick up this book, finally. Great review, Job Njoroge.
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

This review makes me salivate for the book. I have always loved time twists and I'm positive I will enjoy this book thoroughly. Well-done Job. Great review.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree that it is a big feat to manage 2 different stories without confusing the reader.
Thanks for stopping by my review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this book has important life lessons. This is definitely a book I would enjoy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

For most part I sympathize with Amanda, but I am glad it turned out to be a happy ending. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I've read a few positive reviews of this book now, and yours explains the plot very well.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I like a story with twists and turns and a little bit of emotion: it's always intriguing to read such stories. Thank you for giving us an interesting review.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Historical narratives often draw my attention, but, when it has a mix of armed conflict, it gets me reading promptly. I think the story of Amanda Parker and Mark Callahan sounds intriguing. Good review, Job Njoroge!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Anyango Bernard Fran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anyango Bernard Fran »

Job Njoroge's review is spot on especially considering the complex plot weaving the current experiences on the backdrop of the historical ones. Celebrates the nexus between the present and the past the meeting point must be romantically understood to come to terms with the present. This is a nationalistic writing that is a must read for anybody who has any claim to nationarlistic feeling. Historical narratives are sites that provide an opportunity to learn aspects of our history that is bitter without feeling the bitterness. Just like the novel ends on a high note so can the nation state.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I just read this book and i must say that i completely agree with your review. Thank you for this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”