Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- Lemoncella Cocktail

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- Lemoncella Cocktail

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan is a fictional drama novel. The book is set in Ontario, Canada. The book was published in 2016 and follows the life of Patrick Carter after some specific events of his life. The author narrates the story from different perspectives and this makes the story extremely interesting.

Patrick Carter was leaving work one evening when his car broke down. His job as a bartender was not earning him money, clearly not enough to pay his rent. When he walked close to the Ausable River, he heard a panicked cry followed by a splash. He jumped in the river and rescued a teenage girl, Samantha. He soon realized that it was an attempt at murder and he might be the next target for interfering by saving the girl's life. When he returns her to her home, he gets (unknowingly) in the middle of a police investigation and the crime merchant Arnold Calander. When the police intentionally hide who they are investigating for the attempted murder of Samantha, Patrick finds himself at risk. Will Patrick figure out his life? Is his life in danger because he saved Samantha? Why was Samantha the target? Will Arnold attempt to kill both Samantha and Patrick? Is Samantha's family at risk? All these questions will be answered in this amazing book.

The main theme I encountered in this book was conflict. The attempt on Samantha's life breeds an unknown conflict between a criminal entity and the police who appear to be investigating it. The other major theme I encountered was secrecy. The police do not know why Samantha was the target but we get to know that there are secrets being hidden. The police hide their investigation of Arnold from Patrick and Samantha's family. The other themes I encountered in this book were; betrayal, determination, loyalty, courage and justice. The author uses these themes masterfully to not only make the characters interesting, but to also make the story captivating.

The character development in his book was superbly written. The author pays due attention to write the book from various perspectives. The author has a wide range of characters to choose from. Patrick starts the story in misery. He does not believe his life amounts to anything. He puts this feelings to bed in order to save Samantha from drowning. The author writes the story on a steady path to build Patrick into someone to look up to. The many characters the author uses drive this story and make it addictive from the first chapter. I loved how the author starts the book with action. This made sure there was suspense throughout the story. Due to the numerous characters who narrate the story and the amazing plot, I compared this story to William H. Coles' Guardian of Deceit.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have happily rated this book 4 stars but I encountered numerous spelling mistakes that disrupted my reading spell. I found myself having to stop to make sense of the mistakes. Examples include mistaking "no" with "I" and not inputting "was" in certain sentences in the first chapter. Despite these mistakes, I found the plot memorable and the characters unique.

I would recommend this book to all fictional drama and literary fiction fans. The author wrote an amazing book using a unique writing style that kept my attention from the beginning of the book. I am new to Rene Natan's books, but I found this book an excellent introduction to Natan's collection.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Spoiler alert. Spoiler alert. Spoiler alert. Thank you for recommendation.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”