Review of Quest: Finding Freddie

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Princess Vayle
Bookshelf Size: 795
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Forty Nights In Aruba by Bea Ann Argh

Review of Quest: Finding Freddie

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Quest: Finding Freddie" by Thomas Richard Spradlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin is about the author's search for Freddie, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Nachman International Trading Corporation. Freddie had mysteriously disappeared after walking on Victoria Island while on a business trip in Lagos, Nigeria. Richard, which is the name Thomas goes by, did not know if he would be rescuing Freddie or if he would be recovering his body. Throughout this story, Richard details the Nigerian political and cultural environment he had to work around. Grab a copy of this book to find out if Richard finds Freddie, how politics and culture impacted his search, and how the Swedish and United States embassies in Lagos impacted his search.

The background information and historical facts within the narrative and through footnotes at the end of each chapter allowed me to learn more about the people involved and Nigeria. For example, describing the different clothing types worn in Nigeria helped me visualize the people better. Learning some Nigerian Pidgin English was an added joy to reading this book. My favorite quote in this book is, "Life is full of delicious ironies!." I liked that the author's thoughts were in italics and within parentheses to separate them from the rest of the narrative. I found many of them humorous.

Some readers may be distracted by the formatting problems in the Kindle version of this book. However, they did not bother me as much as the need for professional editing did. There are many misspelled words, including names, and other errors that a professional editor would have found. For this reason, I had no choice but to give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Without the errors, I would have given this book a perfect score because of the suspense, mystery, and writing style that kept me intrigued throughout the book.

I recommend this book to mature readers interested in reading suspenseful mysteries about international politics or learning more about Nigerian history and culture. Sensitive readers need to be aware that this book contains non-borderline profanity, and some of the scenes about human trafficking and the Nigerian legal system can be disturbing. You may want to avoid this book if you find religion offensive because it does contain some information from the Book of Revelations and the Book of Exodus, and there is a Catholic Church orphanage.

Quest: Finding Freddie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”