Review by Debbyemi -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Review by Debbyemi -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Debbyemi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski, Ann Marie Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon is a lovely little illustration for children. It started off beautifully with puffy the cat who loves to wander out of his home in search of adventure but ended up soiling himself with Kitty who had an obscene odor which resulted in messing his hair. This in turn led to him having a bath that he so much detested. He learnt his lesson the hard way. He made a resolve never to wander away from home again, this he kept.

The story is short and beautifully written with a lot of lessons for children, written in a rhythm like way, it affords children fun while at the same time driving home vital and important lessons for children. It is easily comprehensible and as such, will be a wonderful read for children of any age.

Before the start of the story, the authors gave a short guide on how maximum benefit can be derived from reading the book and gave a free coloring page to serve as a reward for a child’s successful completion of the book. Using the free coloring page, Parent can set targets for their children. Children on the other hand looks forward to completing the book since they can get to color at the end. Not only that, the author welcomes request for the free list of the big words used in the book.

Overall, the book was captivating from the start as the cover page itself looks appealing to children and parent might not even have to read it aloud to children who are learning to read already. This way both parent and children can benefit.

As Puffy learnt his lesson the hard way, children reading it can learn from that, and chose not to wander away from home or do anything that will soil them. Thereby avoiding Puffy’s mistake.

What I like most about the book is the shortness of the book which will endear it to the heart of children, as they would have ended the book before boredom sets it. Bigger children can easily read and reread it without stress and the lesson gets to stick more.

I will rate Puffy and the Formidable Foe 4 out of 4 stars. Because it captures it audience well and contains vital lessons for children in an easily comprehensible way. I recommend it for parents of little children between the age of two and ten and teachers of little children. The children will thank them for it.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Debbyemi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for your review. This has been one of my favorite books so far.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Really, it's so easy to read. Thanks for checking it out.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I also enjoyed reading that book. It sounds a relaxing book and full of fun. Nice review Debbyemi. The colors and the drawing on that book can make it more exciting.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

readandsmile wrote:I also enjoyed reading that book. It sounds a relaxing book and full of fun. Nice review Debbyemi. The colors and the drawing on that book can make it more exciting.
Exactly, the colors and drawings made the book more fun. Thanks for stopping by.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Like other children's books, I enjoy reading different review versions of Puffy and the Formidable Foe. I think Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon have written an interesting book to alert children on the ills of wandering. Fine review, Debbyemi.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

I have never read a book like that. It seems really interesting. I would like to gift this book to my younger cousins.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

KlareAllison wrote:Like other children's books, I enjoy reading different review versions of Puffy and the Formidable Foe. I think Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon have written an interesting book to alert children on the ills of wandering. Fine review, Debbyemi.
Thanks KlareAllison. Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon did a good job.

-- 30 Oct 2017, 02:32 --
Reet Aulakh wrote:I have never read a book like that. It seems really interesting. I would like to gift this book to my younger cousins.
The reading shouldn't take you more than ten minutes at the most. It would make a wonderful gift to children.
Astrophil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Astrophil »

"What I like most about the book is the shortness"

Well, that says a lot about the book, doesn't it now?
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Astrophil wrote:"What I like most about the book is the shortness"

Yes it does, it actually makes it more suitable for children.
Astrophil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Astrophil »

Debbyemi wrote:

And less tiresome for their parents?
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Astrophil wrote:
Debbyemi wrote:

And less tiresome for their parents?
Exactly, less tiresome for parents.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

You have a point about the book being short enough to prevent children readers from being bored. They will definitely learn a lot from the book since they have read it entirely

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars myself. Feel free to check out my review when you have time.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Izesicle wrote:You have a point about the book being short enough to prevent children readers from being bored. They will definitely learn a lot from the book since they have read it entirely

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars myself. Feel free to check out my review when you have time.
Thanks for stopping by, will definitely check yours out as soon as I have the time.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Debbyemi wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 06:25 the book and gave a free coloring page to serve as a reward for a child’s successful completion of the book. Using the free coloring page, Parent can set targets for their children
Debby, this is a great observation! The coloring page is a very useful addition.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”