Review by prenaramesh -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Review by prenaramesh -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by prenaramesh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is an adventure, supernatural fiction book written by Charlie Sheldon and set in the Olympic Peninsula wilderness and the North Pacific Coast.

Tom is about to set out on a hiking trip into the Olympic National Park with his Native American friend William, and William’s daughter Myra when he receives an unexpected visit from his ex-wife. She drops off Sarah, a 13-year-old girl, who she says is Tom’s granddaughter. Unaware of her existence until this moment, Tom is naturally thrown into shock and confusion. William, however, convinces Tom to take her along with them instead of canceling the already planned trip. Sarah isn't very pleased with this arrangement, understandably, and is ornery and unenthusiastic. The journey they embark upon turns out to be completely different from what they had planned.

On the way to their destination, Tom eventually reveals that the real reason he planned this trek has to do with another trek he took decades ago with his grandfather. The story also reveals more about Tom’s Native American roots, which even William and Myra were unaware of earlier. There are also discussions about the current situation, with a big corporation manipulating the local residents to get access to mine certain areas in the locality.

The book is steeped in magic, legend, and history. The major themes the book explores is about the history of people over the world and their origins. Where did we all originally come from? How much truth is there in the legends and stories that have been passed on from generation to generation? It also reads somewhat like a travel journal when the author is describing the camping and traveling, along with beautiful descriptions of the landscape and scenery.

I like an interesting point raised in the book about how we cannot assume that something is the truth just because we haven't found any evidence to the contrary. This was definitely food for thought on how scientific theories are created based on evidence at hand and are also sometimes debunked upon finding further evidence. The conflict between belief in legends of the past and confidence in scientific evidence of the present is beautifully explored with the different viewpoints of characters.

The only thing I didn't like was certain character inconsistencies. It seemed like the characters randomly jumped between belief and skepticism in a way that didn’t make logical sense. However, this is a minor point and didn’t bother me very much. I have given it 4 out of 4 stars since I really enjoyed the book in spite of it not being the usual genre I read. I would definitely recommend it and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prenaramesh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Because it's native Indian history, I expect legend and magic. It's wonderful to see a book that pays tribute to such rich history. Great book and great review. Seemed you enjoyed it a lot. I didn't even know there was another and it is supposed to be part of a series :O
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Nice review. I agree that the fact you can not prove something doesn't mean that it is not true. We may just not have proof.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

i love the adventure on this book. i like your review. nice one, i admire it.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”