Review by Jonimac -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jonimac
Currently Reading: The Holy Bible
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonimac.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Jonimac -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jonimac »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian OHara is part of a series of detective novels set in the present time. This is his second installment of a series about Chief Investigator Jim Sheenan's Serious Crime Unit of the Strandon, England's Police Department. This novel follow the exploits of Officer Denise Stewart. She had uncovered a dirty cop in her previous precinct and she ends up helping the prosecuting barrister convict the veteran cop. Unfortunately this results in her being bullied and harassed by other cops in that office.

Stewart receives a promotion and a transfer to Sheenan's group, but she has a huge chip on her shoulders from all she had to go thru previously. Denise wants to make a new start and has to learn to trust the close knit team she is joining. All of the detectives pitch in to make her feel at home and after a few misunderstandings, Denise learns to let go of the past and to trust her new teammates.

Investigator Stewart gets her first case in her new post and it seems to be a simple murder case, but the case quickly becomes complicated due to a gory murder scene. The clues she finds lead to a multilevel conspiracy of crimes going back 12 years. You get to know each of the member of the team as they research and do surveillance on several wealthy and influential people in this small town. As each clue is uncovered a quote from the Shakespearian play Julius Caesar rings true. ["Oh what a fall was there!"] Then another murder happens with the same MO: same time of murder, same wounds and same disfigurement on the victim's body. Denise also has to deal with helping out an informant in a protective custody case, while trying to figure out her two love interests and then the author throws in a stalker. What ties all of this together? You won't be able to put this book down until you find the answer.

The author has filled this book with a plot that twists and turns as you grip the edge of your seat. At one point, I am compelled to laugh out loud when a neighbor tazes two officers on a stake out, then I am horrified that I laughed by the next line. How could I react that way? I'm a big fan of John Sandford and Jeffery Deaver and I get caught up in their books just like this one. I was very happy I selected this novel. O'Hara makes me feel like I have a desk in the crime unit and I need to be ready to go on my next assignment. If you like mysteries and getting caught up in solving them, you will love this book.

I want to give this novel a 4 out of 4 even though I found a few errors. I don't feel it takes away from the book in any manner. I'm adding Mr. O'Hara to my favorite detective list and believe me there are not many names on my list. Few measure up. I hope he brings back Denise Stewart and maybe gives her a partner. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Jonimac's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Jonimac! It seems you found a new favorite author. I also enjoy John Sandford (have you met Virgil Flowers?) but have yet to sample Jefferey Deaver's work.

P.S. I suggest you also try the Alphabet Series (which started with "A" is for Alibi and is now in "X," but all novels are standalone) of Sue Grafton. She is a contemporary writer, but her heroine is caught in a time warp (the 80's) so her books make for interesting reading.
Jonimac
Currently Reading: The Holy Bible
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonimac.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jonimac »

Virgil and I are soul mates....he just doesn't know it yet. I love his stories. Jeffrey Deaver's is famous for The Bone Collector which was made into a movie with Denzel Washington. I haven't read Grafton's book but thank you for the tip. I know there were some errors in my review but I am just learning my way around. My final draft matched all the rules but I lost it while trying to post and I got frustrated and hit the submit button too soon. Thank you for taking time to encourage me!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. The part where the neighbour tasered the police officers was one of my favourite scenes because I didn’t see it coming. It got a bit nasty after that though.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Loved your review. Books are fun when the author is able to engage you in such a dynamic way. Glad you enjoyed this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”