Review by KeriCraven -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Review by KeriCraven -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by KeriCraven »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you ask most people what fictional stories they think of when they hear that the story is set in Washington, most people will think only of the Twilight series. However, there's a new book coming to town and that book is Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon. The story is written by a new author whose writing style can be described as simple and understanding. The story of strong heart takes place in the Olympic Peninsula wilderness in Washington State and follows four main characters. When reading the story, I could tell that the author, Charlie Sheldon, had done some extensive research prior to writing. The story is an adventurous journey that shows what it truly means to have a strong heart.

Strong heart is a simple story that is intricated with family drama and native mystics. From the very first chapter when Tom's granddaughter, Sarah, shows up readers can see that this story is going to be a roller coaster ride. Sarah is someone Tom never knew existed and is now having to learn how to cope with this new family drama all while trying to go visit the grave of his own grandfather. The first half of the story takes place with the main characters walking a hiking trail in the Olympic Peninsula wilderness, making their way to a grave that Tom dug for his grandfather on a trip they once took together. what seems like a simple story of a grandfather taking his teenage granddaughter camping takes a quick turn when Sarah disappears. It is from this drastic turning point that the story keeps taking turn after turn. Just when you think you know what is going to happen, Charlie Sheldon flips everything upside down.

Now, while I did enjoy this book overall, I could not help but notice some things that I was not fond of. Throughout the story there is information that is fed to the readers from different characters at different times. This type of writing could confuse the reader. There is also no set person telling the story. We jump from Tom to William to Sarah. This style had me guess who was telling the story at different times. The book felt as slow paced as William walking the trail. At some points of the story I felt that the narrative was simply off beat. I personally felt that the writing was kind of staccato in a manner. The words did not flow.

Now that the bad is done, I can begin writing what I enjoyed about the book. I am a fan of the Twilight series but I always felt like Stephanie Meyer could have brought more to the story when it came to the tribal stories. However, Charlie Sheldon did just that and more. I think the last time I read or watched anything about Native American visions would have to be on an episode of Charmed and that show has been off air for about ten years. You can tell right away that Charlie Sheldon had done some extensive researcher before bringing these characters alive. The author chose to use a simple style that is an easy read that even novice readers could pick it up. The author also masterfully captures the essence of a teenage girl, who is lost in the world, struggling to believe in herself when no one else believes in her. This storyline appeals to an entire generation of readers, while also capturing the attention of the outdoor, adventurous types of readers.

Personally, I would give this book a 3 out of 4-star rating. while the story, once it got going, was pretty good, was still at a snail's pace. I would have liked to see a singular narrator or even some indication that the narration was changing. While the story itself works at a very slow pace, I would have liked to have seen more of the story expanded. For instance, Tom's backstory felt very short and jumbled. There was a lot of chapters that I felt could have been written differently with more information. Overall, I wanted more. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully, Sheldon will provide us with a follow up story so that we can see what happens to our four characters.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KeriCraven's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The point of view changes can be both positive and negative. It's nice to be able to see the story from all sides, but jumping around like that can be confusing. Very nice review. Since you enjoyed it, you might want to check out the author interview from the author in the corresponding forum!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KeriCraven

Post by KeriCraven »

Its funny because this book stuck with me to the point that I had a dream about it last night.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt a few similarities to Twilight when reading this. I'm only half way through at the moment though.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
KeriCraven

Post by KeriCraven »

At first I wasn't sure I would be able to finish

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”