Review by Gifty Naa Akushia -- Who Told You That You Wer...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Gifty Naa Akushia -- Who Told You That You Wer...

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who told you that you were naked? is a non-fiction genre written by William E. Combs and published by the Carpenter's son publishing in 2016.This book revolves around the concept of sin and death, faith in God and general Christian life.
Often I would ignore the introduction of a book, but for this one I think the writer did a good job by starting off the book on a much friendlier note, where he narrates some events during his growing up years and even more intriguing when the writer managed to weave in, the title of the book "Who told you that you were naked"?
Still in the introduction he managed to briefly outline the chapters of the book, thus just with the introduction one is made aware of what to expect in the full book.

Cruising through the chapters, the writer gives vivid description of events during creation and goes beyond to talk about activities in the Garden of Eden, the home of the first couple on earth. His perfect analytical skills are sure means to whet readers appetite and often times one may even feel as if he/she witnessed those creation events personally.
Just before chapter one ends, he makes readers understand that the Lord God put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and ordered them to subdue the earth.
In the Garden, the couple had the privilege to be visited by Jehovah God himself and they enjoyed his visits until one day when the cunning serpent came to deceive the woman about God's instructions on the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
She thus gave in to the temptation of plucking and eating from the fruit of this tree and later gave some to her husband. As soon as the man ate his portion of the fruit then both of them had their eyes opened. Immediately this happened the couple lost the intimate relationship they used to enjoy with the Lord. This is because that very afternoon when the Lord came round for His usual visit, the couple realizing for the first time that they were both naked went to hide from the presence of the Lord.
The Lord as he approached kept calling out Adam's name but Adam after several name calls responded by saying "I heard you coming and went to hide because I am naked"
The Lord God then inquired, "Who told you that you were naked".
Adam and his wife then started the blame game right in the presence of God. They were therefore thrown out of their beautiful home for disobeying God's instructions. According to the author in chapter two page 33, the couple from this instance experienced spiritual and relational death.
The writer thus gave accounts on some events that transpired while the couple was out of the Garden of Eden. It was made known that they had children, Cain and Abel and the respective sacrifices that they both rendered to God. Mr. Combs also gave a contemporary interpretation of events that occurred throughout the chapters.

The author has a unique way of moving readers along, he would quote scripture and provide the full message of the scripture in-text, this makes it easier for readers to follow the story through and makes reading very smooth. Through this act I find my long lost scripture from the write up which is Romans 5:12. I had a paraphrased idea of this scripture but I had forgotten where exactly in the Bible it could be found. He has a perfect skill of merging both old and new testament making it easier and possible for readers to relate events in both testaments. He is also known to use very fine language with very rich vocabulary. His style of referring to and appreciating his wife at several points in the write up is worth emulating by other couples.

The book is very organized and well written, however getting to the end there were some few spelling mistakes. For instance in chapter ten page 176, the writer uses "heal" instead of "heel" in the context of the man bruising the head of the serpent and the serpent bruising the heel of the man. Also in the same chapter page 191, in the in-text scripture Genesis 4:7, the writer uses sin is "couching" instead of sin is "crouching ".
He tries to make the book very interesting thus at several points he gave accounts of his personal experience concerning an issue. This is not bad however, I feel it should be minimized, just a few of such may be well tolerated by readers.

Finally I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars based on the fact that Mr. Combs managed to sweep me off my feet with his humorous writing style as well as all other factors I have spoken about before.
I will therefore recommend this book for every serious Christian and anybody who wants to overcome sin and to have a deeper walk with the Lord.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gifty Naa Akushia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You seem to have been touched by this book, Gifty Naa Akushia! May it enlighten many more of us, troubled souls.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

This isn't my usual kind of book, but you have written a convincing review. Thanks!
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Ok Miriam I say amen to your request and thanks all for the comment.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! You wrote a very insightful review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Very insightful review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed this book, and selected it for review previously as well. It seems like you also enjoyed this book overall.
fitorazi
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by fitorazi »

From this review and as the reviewer has already stated, it's for Christians. However, I will recommend this book to that one or anyone that seeks knowledge beyond the spheres of religion to spiritual insights.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A very in depth review. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

this is my first review as well. i agree with your observation on this book. thanks , I like your review.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Thank you for good review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like that the author is able to use humour in a otherwise serious non fiction book. Thanks for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

The book sounds quite inspiring. Thanks for sharing your insights on it. Great review.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

William Combs's Who Told You That You Were Naked? is my first book review on OBC. I like the personal accounts included in the book. I also like the light and breezy writing style of the author. Congrats, kwahu, on your review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I also did a review of this book, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The book spoke to me personally. Well done!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”