Review by dauntlesswitch -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dauntlesswitch
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauntlesswitch.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
Reading Device: B01M9IIPZ8

Review by dauntlesswitch -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by dauntlesswitch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare is not your ordinary detective story. Brian O'Hare, known fiction author and a former assistant director. The book was published by Crimson Cloak Publishing. It is the second book in the DCI Sheehan Mysteries. However, this is the first book that I've read in the series and I was never left out. It's a good sequel to the first one because it gives the readers some background about the characters and the Serious Crimes Department.

Sergeant Denise Stewart was recently promoted and is the new member of the Serious Crimes Department lead by Inspector Sheehan. Along with her fellow detectives, they work on solving a murder. Every Tuesday at 11:05 pm, someone is murdered. Will they be able to find a connection between those killings? Is it related with a crime that happened 12 years ago? Will Stewart resolve her own issues? These questions will be answered when you read the book.

The story was written well. I like the author's choice of words. It seems that he did his part on studying and choosing the right words in this genre. Brian O'Hare used words that can be easily understood by readers who are new and are not used to investigative stories. I like how the characters were described. Every member of the team was introduced and had different roles to play. I like how the team are holding each other like a family. The differences in their personalities makes them work better and come up with different ideas and theories. The location and settings were also neatly presented. The story was told in a third-person omniscient point of view.

I liked how the story kept me at the edge of my seat. Once I reached the second half, I couldn't stop reading. I felt like I had the urge to catch the killer immediately. I felt like I was part of the team. I had my own suspect and theory. I felt like I was alongside the characters and is solving the case with them. I liked how Sergeant Denise proved that women can also do what men can. Women can also be on the front lines. I liked how the author made the connections between the team and the killings. It was nice that the story has a hint of seriousness in it yet O'Hare gave us something more.

I understand that this book has some errors in it (grammatical and typographical) but it doesn't really get in the way of the story. The errors were really minimal. Still, 11:05 Murders is a great book to get lost in. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author showed knowledge of what he was writing about. The revelations are pretty shocking and I recommend this book to everyone who loves to read mystery stories.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like dauntlesswitch's review? Post a comment saying so!
The music fills me up, quieting all the extra noises in my life, making my heart swell larger and larger until there’s nothing left of me but ears and a soul.
— Erin Watt
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder how a murderer can plan to kill people at a specific time, down to the minute. A most intriguing story!

Thanks for the bewitching review, Dauntlesswitch!
dauntlesswitch
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauntlesswitch.html
Reading Device: B01M9IIPZ8

Post by dauntlesswitch »

Miriam Molina wrote:I wonder how a murderer can plan to kill people at a specific time, down to the minute. A most intriguing story!

Thanks for the bewitching review, Dauntlesswitch!
Thank you! It really is intriguing and I felt like I was also chasing the killer. It's also kept me thinking why he chose that specific time.
The music fills me up, quieting all the extra noises in my life, making my heart swell larger and larger until there’s nothing left of me but ears and a soul.
— Erin Watt
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Great review, I've always liked a good detective story
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Kate Richmond
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-richmond.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate Richmond »

Great review! I've read the book too. And I actually had the same feeling with you. The first half of the book is a bit slower, but once I reached the second half, it is unputdownable.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
enpie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by enpie »

I will definitely check this out! I like reading Detective stories. Thanks for the interesting review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”