Review by Quinto -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Review by Quinto -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by Quinto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I picked this non-fiction novel The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson to review, I really didn't know what to expect. In the course of my reading, I came across this quotation from the book, that will form the basis of my introduction.
"Zombies are so prevalent in our society now that they seem to appeal, in one way or another, to a variety of demographic books."

This whole zombie phenomena as described by this book, came to me as a surprise. Hitherto, I was contented with its definition and taking it at face value, and as if to put me into the right perspective for my reading, the opening sentence to this book screams: "Zombies have invaded pop culture!"

The premise of this novel as can be deduced from the quote above, is the prevalence of zombies across major cities around the world and in the media. Including definition and everything is to know about them.

For starters, the author documents the earliest excerpt and description of this phenomena in Haiti, through the works of a noted journalist of that time namely Stephen Bonsal. His book recounts an interesting tale of a working class man who became sick and died under normal circumstances, only after two days the grieving widow to find her deceased husband's grave empty. The incident was reported to the police and ignored, apparently, they didn't want to get on the wrong side of a voodoo priest. In summary a mail carrier was to later stumble upon "a man dressed in his grave-clothes, tied to a tree, moaning and struggling to get free." That would be the first recorded zombie in history, and as the Stephen further defines the victim: "the apparent victim of a voodoo spell which brought him back from the dead, but destroyed his mind." The author would go on further and cite a different writer by the name of William Seabrook, who would expose the "living dead" onto the American entertainment scene. The novel closes this prologue by giving a chronological order of zombie themed movies produced since 1932 complete with the characteristics of its different genre.

A subsequent chapter looks at the deeper meanings behind zombie stories as featured on the big screen. For example, the early Haitian zombie stories can be considered a metaphor for slavery. Later the author would narrate how the best stories are less about the "shambling ghouls" and more about the triumph of the human spirit. Further the author would introduce the reader to different names of zombies across the world and even offer a course 101 on what he describes as the "zombie brain".

In summary, the author has picked what he thinks is relevant and true and put his arguments across to convince his readers about everything zombie in nature. He even discusses, in my own opinion, a preposterous idea on how to make a zombie. Now, who in their right faculties will want to do that, one may ask? To his credit, however, the author brings up a real practical way of cashing in on their popularity. This is already underway in official circles, where governmental bodies such as the Center for Disease Control are using the zombie craze to bring awareness to their preparedness campaign. Not to be outdone by their government buddy "zombies", individual zombie devotees have on another front come up with a "zombie" drink which is featured in this novel complete with its formula, which will no doubt appeal to any discerning palate and help spread this love.

This book is well written, it's descriptive and persuasive. From his material it is evident the author has consulted widely and researched well. To disseminate the information even more effectively, he even has a part at the end of several sections of the book called "zombie media", which is a quick guide to some recommended zombie movies, books, and games. The author also comes across as someone who knows his subject well and a "zombie" at heart (or is it head). On a chapter titled "events" he even describes how he participated in a zombie run in his town ("Tread of the Undead"). He signed up as a zombie, and applied his zombie make-up at home. (How cool is that?)

The book appears to be professionally edited and the formatting is also on point. I only came across one instance of a missing word: "of" on page 34. Further I enjoyed reading about the insights and arguments put across by the author, and believe they are comprehensive. Whether i will consider myself a new "zombie" or not is another matter all together. In conclusion, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

From you review, I can deduce you enjoyed the reading. I like how you exposed the different sub-themes the reader can find in the book about zombies. Thanks for your honest review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Hi Kalin, yeah I did. Thanks for your compliments and stopping by.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an interesting book. It's perfect for anyone who loves zombies!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Well, do you? :D :lol: Thanks Amagine for your kind compliments.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

For further reading on actual zombies including how the voodoo process try the serpent and the rainbow, I've forgotten the author's​ name. I came across when I was in Nicaragua a while back. Great read.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Hi Julius, I can see you are well read. As a matter of fact, the author recommended that book and movie to his readers. Thanks for your time and compliment.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Really!? That's one of the best books I've ever read. I lost my copy in a friend's car who later misplaced it. I was captivated by the voodoo rituals and the simple science behind the zombies. The portion for zombie-making is actually a common herb/weed.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What gave me a pause right away was that "non-fiction" coexisted in the same sentence with "zombies." I just can't imagine people believing they exist. But then again, many believe vampires are also real. I think I'd read the book just out of pure curiosity. A great review, Quinto.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

juliusotinyo wrote:Really!? That's one of the best books I've ever read. I lost my copy in a friend's car who later misplaced it. I was captivated by the voodoo rituals and the simple science behind the zombies. The portion for zombie-making is actually a common herb/weed.
Actually Dave Robertson's sources of info for his book is quite wide. So he talks quite at length on Wade Davis' book. He says the key was a powder known as coupe poudre which is extracted from a species of puffer fish and then mixed with some substance extracted from the datura plant by the voodoo man. So your quite right on the scientific process. But I think it's not that simple my friend.

-- 28 Sep 2017, 14:16 --
kislany wrote:What gave me a pause right away was that "non-fiction" coexisted in the same sentence with "zombies." I just can't imagine people believing they exist. But then again, many believe vampires are also real. I think I'd read the book just out of pure curiosity. A great review, Quinto.
-- 28 Sep 2017, 14:22 --
kislany wrote:What gave me a pause right away was that "non-fiction" coexisted in the same sentence with "zombies." I just can't imagine people believing they exist. But then again, many believe vampires are also real. I think I'd read the book just out of pure curiosity. A great review, Quinto.
Hi kislany, the book does raise a lot of information that it passes out as non fiction. I think there is a lot here than meets the eye. But as you say, you may read it out of curiosity, which i agree. Thanks for your compliment.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I don't believe in the existence of zombies, but after reading your review which reflected the sub-themes in the book I am compelled to read the book out of mere curiosity.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Hi Al Chakauya. Like you, I don't believe in them. But the book presents the issue as fact including evidence. So its upto the reader to judge for themselves. Thanks for stopping by.
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

Voww!! It is an interesting book. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the review ?
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

juliusotinyo wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 06:57 For further reading on actual zombies including how the voodoo process try the serpent and the rainbow, I've forgotten the author's​ name. I came across when I was in Nicaragua a while back. Great read.
I have that book, and it shows exactly how one would make zombies. :shock2:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

kislany wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 13:48 What gave me a pause right away was that "non-fiction" coexisted in the same sentence with "zombies." I just can't imagine people believing they exist. But then again, many believe vampires are also real. I think I'd read the book just out of pure curiosity. A great review, Quinto.
I don’t think it’s non-fiction because zombies exist, it’s non-fiction because it’s about all the films and book which most decidedly do exist.
There is also evidence that the voodoo zombies on Haiti are/were real, but a whole fiction has grown up around them.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”