Review by ktrae910 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Review by ktrae910 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by ktrae910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders is a mystery set in Northern Ireland in current times. It is the second book in the Crimson Cloak’s Inspector Sheehan Mystery Series. This book introduces Woman Detective Sergeant (WDS) Denise Stewart to the Serious Crimes Unit of the Strandtown Police Station, B District, Police Services Northern Ireland, led by Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Jim Sheehan. Serious Crimes is WDS Stewart’s first assignment as a plain clothes officer.

The team’s first serious crime is the disfigurement and murder of a ruthless Belfast banker. There are plenty of suspects and two interesting encrypted files on the victim’s computer.

The team thinks they may be onto something when a second murder and disfigurement happens exactly one week, to the minute, after the first. With the help of an anonymous tipster, they are able to connect the two murder victims. They also had no problem connecting the second victim to their main suspect.

When the team identifies the third victim before the murder takes place, they set up an op to catch the murderer in the act but everything goes off the rails before they even get started. You’ll have to read the book to find out why one team member has several attempts made on his life and what happens to their op.

I rate The 11:05 Murders as a solid 4 out of 4 stars for the authentic dialogue, the professional editing and the fantastic twists and turns. O’Hare is a master at keeping the reader engaged and invested even when the story is heading in all the wrong directions.

O’Hare makes you feel like you know all the characters personally; no detail is too small to include. He, then, weaves the story into the characters’ lives instead of molding the characters to the storyline. The flow of the dialogue is much more natural and it feels like you could walk into the Strandtown Station and ask to speak to any one of the characters.

Another thing that makes this book fun to read is that you can follow the characters' movements via Google Maps. O’Hare stays true to the topography of Northern Ireland throughout the book. I enjoy looking up the places in the books I read to see if I’d be able to drive the same routes if I visited the area. It makes the books seem more real to me.

I can’t wait to read what happens next in the lives of DCI Sheehan, WDS Stewart and the rest of the team!

A couple of side notes:

O’Hare uses a phrase that is well over used in the mystery and suspense genres: “…expelled a breath she didn’t know she had been holding.” (near the end of chapter 23) Fortunately, he only used it once and alluded to it a second time later in the book.

This book is written in authentic Irish English syntax. In some places, the grammar seems a bit off, but given that I am used to the formal American English syntax, it's no surprise to me. I actually enjoy it and feel it's a credit to the authenticity of the book.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ktrae910's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I would understand how the grammar would seem a bit off; great review, Ktrae910
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I normally allow my imagination to visualise the places described in a book; confirming whether I got things right through an online software is quite a good idea for my next read. The title shows this piece isn't what I'm looking for at the moment, but your review highlighted the salient ingredients that'll make it appealing to its genre's followers. Thank you for your well-written and insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review. This does sound like an interesting read. You note that it's the second in the series. Do you think this could stand alone, or do you think you really need to read the first book before this one?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”