Review by Angela Stripes -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Review by Angela Stripes -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by Angela Stripes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place of Knowledge, written by Philip Alan Shalka, offers a glimpse into the heart of an autistic young man and his service dog, Sabre. Though Philip writes himself into the story, it’s his enthusiastic and friendly service dog that narrates their adventures found on the other side of a trap door at the bottom of a swimming pool. Once through the unlikely portal, the two friends find themselves in an underground city full of peace, knowledge, and happiness.

Within the underground city, Sabre and Philip find themselves face to face with the great Aristotle himself. Sabre listens as Philip chats with the philosopher about the human ability to learn. Philip expresses his desire to be understood by those who surround his daily life in the world above. Philip and Aristotle conclude the key to happiness is essentially knowing and embracing who he is, over what others think of him.

At one point, Philip expresses gratitude for Aristotle’s genuine spirit. Aristotle responds, “You are welcome, Philip. I can only be honest with you and I’m glad you understand.” This is the most bold and direct show of the themes running throughout the entire piece. One theme is the desire to be around like-minded people and to engage with those who communicate out of the deep places in the heart.

Though Philip lays out his viewpoints in simple language, he wrestles with the meaning of life and what it means to learn. This seems to be part of Philip’s main argument: that although he is autistic, he is capable of mental complexity and desires to gain knowledge. He and Aristotle compare and contrast the value placed on thinking deeply by themselves and others.

The creative setting for this narrative captured my imagination, so it’s unfortunate that so much of the setting and imagery is sacrificed to the overwhelming amount of dialogue. Many of Philip’s conversations with Aristotle are repetitive and trail from one abstract or philosophical idea to the next. Philip asks many interesting questions and stirs up a lot of the “big questions”, but the conversation rarely sticks to one idea or thought for more than two exchanges. Because of the rapid shifts between topics, the viewpoints are rarely supported by contextual evidence.

Sabre narrates the story, though he has little to contribute to the plot. His character adds endearment and companionship for Philip. In choosing him for the eyes and ears of the story, Philip adds his own creative flair.

I would recommend this short story to anyone interested in the autistic community. Through That Place of Knowledge, Philip offers the world a glimpse into his heart in a unique way. This work could also inspire others with autism looking for their own way to impact the world. It’s written in a style that appeals to all ages.

Those looking for an in-depth philosophical discussion may be disappointed, as the topics mentioned are left unpacked, and are lacking practical application.

While I’m excited for this work to be published, it has not been edited properly and reads more like a draft than a finished story. Paragraphs, end quotation marks, and punctuation are frequently misused. This causes confusion in the middle of long winded speeches. Although this piece offers something important to say, I continually found myself wanting to like it rather than being drawn in naturally. For me this short story scores only two out of four stars. It deserves to be reformatted and revised.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Angela Stripes's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html

Post by Zupanatural »

Nice review, Angela, and its great to read your take on it :) As a story, I'd have to agree that its not the most enthralling thing I've ever read & there are some definite grammatical issues to be ironed out. However, there is so much of value & interest when it comes to the message of the book and certainly not just for those with autism.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>

Post by Angela Stripes »

Thanks Zupanatural! I'd have to agree; anyone could benefit from reading this piece.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Thank you for your review Angela, it's different from most reviews I've read about this book - which was refreshing!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The writer's being autistic makes the reader empathize with him. I am awed that he could do something which I continue to only dream of - authoring a story.

Thanks for an objective review, Angela Stripes.
sj_robert
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sj-robert.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sj_robert »

Thanks for your insightful review. It's the first I've read about this book and it has put me off from exploring the title further.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I hate to hear about the amount of negatives and grammatical mistakes in a story that covers such a profound topic. It definitely sounds like a story with a lot of potential.
Mr-Kamzy
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr-Kamzy »

From the title of the book, the story has a particular information it trying to pass on to the readers. It a great story and as such deserve 3 stars.
Angela Stripes

Post by Angela Stripes »

Thanks all!

Mindi, yes it's a shame. I hope Philip continues writing, though, and as writers continue to publish, these kinds of mistakes get ironed out.
Doc2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doc2 »

Mindi wrote:I hate to hear about the amount of negatives and grammatical mistakes in a story that covers such a profound topic. It definitely sounds like a story with a lot of potential.
I read the book and I didn't find any real grammatical mistakes other than a few comma's missing. The story is strong enough on its own that I definitely did not have this same view! Either way, today That Place of Knowledge is free on Amazon! So go check it out if you haven't already!
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Doc2 wrote:
Mindi wrote:I hate to hear about the amount of negatives and grammatical mistakes in a story that covers such a profound topic. It definitely sounds like a story with a lot of potential.
I read the book and I didn't find any real grammatical mistakes other than a few comma's missing. The story is strong enough on its own that I definitely did not have this same view! Either way, today That Place of Knowledge is free on Amazon! So go check it out if you haven't already!
Ok, thanks! I may do that!
shakeyrah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shakeyrah »

The book is interestingly given a mind blowing tough about autism and with stationed friction.
That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka is am amazing short novel. Although it is 28 pages it packs a punch in terms of dealing with what we face as human....
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Wanting to like it rather than being drawn in naturally.. Rightly said I now have the same feeling after reading this book.
Congrats on the nice review.
Can you please check out my review on the same book and leave your comments.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62063
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”