Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by alwaysdaddygirl -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by alwaysdaddygirl -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post Number:#1 by alwaysdaddygirl
» 19 Sep 2017, 15:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by alwaysdaddygirl
Share This Review

Have you ever picked up a book that seems promising but turns out not to be good? That's what happened for me with this book, Curve Couture: A Beautiful Romance, by H.M. Irving. This is a romance featuring a plus-size character named Claire Williams. She works as an agent for her sister, who is a model. Claire goes on a journey that leads her to self discovery and results in her becoming a plus-size model. Claire’s new agent is Erin, whom she falls in love with. He used to be a model and now has his own modeling agency. She has had a crush on Erin since she was a teenager. This book is a stand-alone novel and has no cliffhangers.

I give the book 2 out of 4 stars. Before I begin, I will mention that my writing style is different again because this time I will mostly use references to illustrate my points. My other reason is to show that these are not just my feelings talking. The following are my reasons for this rating:

My first issue is with the book's cover. The lady pictured on the cover does not look plus size. As a plus-size woman who is 5”11, I was disappointed. My excitement for the book decreased because of the cover. However, I tried to keep an open mind. I admit that I am a hypocrite and buy most books because of their covers. I could not connect to Claire because in my imagination she does not look anything like the woman on the cover. You read the book and wonder when the character on the cover is going to come into the story. This leads to my second concern, Claire.

Throughout most of the book, Claire talks about her love of food. This is one of the stereotypical opinions about plus-size gals. It would have been nice if the book had projected a less negative view of plus-size women. There were times in the book that being plus size was portrayed in a positive light, but this was undone by Claire's behavior.

In the book, Claire states: “There was no way I was going to lose weight in the next month. It just wasn’t feasible. I mean, we had been to the gym several times this week already, and I had even missed most of my meals, but here I was, still the same rollie pollie me.” An article on livestrong.com, "What Effect Does Skipping Meals Have on the Body?," states that “Although skipping a meal on rare occasions is harmless, skipping meals often does have negative health effects.”

My second concern with this sentence is that it does not specify what exercises Claire was doing at the gym or how much time she spent on them. According to the article "Working Out and Still Not Losing Weight? Here Are 7 Reasons Why," from health.com, "only doing cardio—or doing too much of it—can actually add to the problem." If Claire was doing cardio but still not losing weight, it could be easier to understand her obesity issue.

Those are my top issues with this book, but I noticed other problems. This could turn into a five-page research paper! Regardless, I would recommend this book to those who want a fluffy romance . Most readers want a book in which the story seems realistic. These issues would not bother some readers. Everyone has their own tastes.

References:

The article from Livestrong.com:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52624 ... -the-body/

The article from health.com:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.health.c ... easons-why

Curve Couture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alwaysdaddygirl's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " Winston Churchill

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability."
Robert M. Hensel
alwaysdaddygirl's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
alwaysdaddygirl

Currently Reading: vertea's revenge
Bookshelf Size: 144 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 15%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by alwaysdaddygirl -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post Number:#2 by MsTri
» 20 Sep 2017, 14:41

I don't read romance novels anymore, but it seems like the author really squandered some opportunities to knock down some stereotypes.

It bothers me, as well, when someone is referred to as "plus-size" when they clearly are not and with this being an illustrated cover, it certainly could have been done properly.

I also thank you for the additional information in your review. What a great bonus!
MsTri

Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 108 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by Gingerbo0ks
» 20 Sep 2017, 15:49

I was thinking of reviewing this book, hoping it would be something refreshing that would break the stereotype. It's disappointing to hear otherwise. Thanks for your review.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by alwaysdaddygirl
» 20 Sep 2017, 21:48

MsTri wrote:I don't read romance novels anymore, but it seems like the author really squandered some opportunities to knock down some stereotypes.

It bothers me, as well, when someone is referred to as "plus-size" when they clearly are not and with this being an illustrated cover, it certainly could have been done properly.

I also thank you for the additional information in your review. What a great bonus!

Mahalo for sharing and your kind words!

Blessings🎗

-- 20 Sep 2017, 21:50 --

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I was thinking of reviewing this book, hoping it would be something refreshing that would break the stereotype. It's disappointing to hear otherwise. Thanks for your review.

Mahalo! I am sorry. I might be too critical with this review. Mahalo for your thoughts and time!

Blessings
🎗
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. " Winston Churchill

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability."
Robert M. Hensel
alwaysdaddygirl's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
alwaysdaddygirl

Currently Reading: vertea's revenge
Bookshelf Size: 144 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 15%