Review by DeboraSilva -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Review by DeboraSilva -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak, the first book from World on Fire series by Lincoln Cole is astonishing. It's agitating in a wonderfully disturbing manner. The plot is engaging and fast-paced, but it suits the writing and makes the reading even more entertaining. Action, terror, fantasy and so much more in this incredible world Cole created, I found myself hooked and it was hard to put the book down.

Haatim is a former college student who suddenly gets confronted by a world he never knew it existed. Abigail works for a secret organization known as the Council and fights for the good. Both are suddenly dragged into a frightening battle between good and evil and have to work together in this magnificent world full of supernatural beings. We get to travel with Abigail and Haatim through their adventures and see them bloom right before our eyes, their growth it's marvelous.

We have various points of views from the characters and that gives the reader an insight into each character's thoughts. The characters have imperfections and commit mistakes, which in turn makes them human, they are refreshing and flawed. I love how Abigail and Haatim complemented each other, and the way they bond throughout the story. For me, the character development is the biggest ace in this novel and despite everything going on in terms of plot, the author still managed to make the characters easily lovable and reliable.

I didn't quite like how the end had so many loose ends but seeing as it's the first book in a series it's understandable, it left me eager to see what will our protagonists go through in the next installments. There are some minor typos throughout the book, but they didn't stop me from enjoying the story with everything I had. The author writing flows easily and the amount of information we get keeps the reader interested and wishing for more!

Cole managed to create an outstanding, action-packed adventure that kept moving rapidly until the end and made me eager for more. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, from the location, to character development, fighting scenes and the few unexpected twists. Even if I did relish in the story, I found myself looking out for a bit more so I will give it 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was quite eye-catching, since I love the genre, and anyone who likes the supernatural will most likely enjoy Raven's Peak.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DeboraSilva's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It's not every day we see "engaging and fast-paced" books, all aspects of this book is appealing to me even if it doesn't have the whole package ;), ..great review you have, DeboraSilva.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
DeboraSilva

Post by DeboraSilva »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:It's not every day we see "engaging and fast-paced" books, all aspects of this book is appealing to me even if it doesn't have the whole package ;), ..great review you have, DeboraSilva.
Hey geoffrey ngoima! It's hard to find book that moves along fast and do not loose their essence. The author's writing and the plot are suited with it, which makes it even better. I recommend this book though, if you like the genre. Thank you for your lovely words.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

DeboraSilva wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:It's not every day we see "engaging and fast-paced" books, all aspects of this book is appealing to me even if it doesn't have the whole package ;), ..great review you have, DeboraSilva.
Hey geoffrey ngoima! It's hard to find book that moves along fast and do not loose their essence. The author's writing and the plot are suited with it, which makes it even better. I recommend this book though, if you like the genre. Thank you for your lovely words.
You're welcome :tiphat:
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I love fantasy books. This seems a good one. Thanks for the review!
DeboraSilva

Post by DeboraSilva »

Kalin Adi wrote:I love fantasy books. This seems a good one. Thanks for the review!
It is a good one, I totally recommend it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The ending was definitely a cliffhanger. I'm glad you enjoyed this one for the most part, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Your review is short and sweet! Personally, I avoid supernatural books. I'm glad you enjoyed this one though.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
DeboraSilva

Post by DeboraSilva »

[bco=][/bco]
kandscreeley wrote:The ending was definitely a cliffhanger. I'm glad you enjoyed this one for the most part, though!
Oh boy if it wasn't! :) :) I had a good time reading it.

-- 20 Sep 2017, 17:04 --
Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Your review is short and sweet! Personally, I avoid supernatural books. I'm glad you enjoyed this one though.
Thank you for your kind words. It was definitely a good reading. :)
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Unity is strength, right? Their human nature is no stumbling block, rather they grow right in front of our eyes to fight the super humans. Quite a compelling story there Debora . Great review!
DeboraSilva

Post by DeboraSilva »

Quinto wrote:Unity is strength, right? Their human nature is no stumbling block, rather they grow right in front of our eyes to fight the super humans. Quite a compelling story there Debora . Great review!
Right you are, unity is basically everything they've got. I totally recomend it :)
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

I also reviewed this book and will concur with your sentiments that it's great and intriguing. You have also captured some great points that I couldn't see. Nice review @Deborasilver.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”