Review by Jaime Lync -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Review by Jaime Lync -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My author is dead by Michel Bruneau is simply amazing! I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I usually wait until the end of the review to reveal my reviewer rating. However, I am so thrilled to promote this thought-provoking, thrilling other-fiction novel that I just could not wait to let you know. This is a story written from a very interesting perspective. Adam, our narrator/protagonist, is a character in the novel. So, what is so interesting about that? Well, almost everyone in his village beliefs that they are characters made by an almighty author who has left a rule book for them to live by to become protagonists. Adam is a member of the few characters that do not believe in the author.

The book opens with 15-year-old Adam facing trial with the likelihood of being sentenced to torture to death. What horrible thing could he have done to deserve such sentence? Does he escape death? Read this tale and find out.

In my opinion, Bruneau speaks plenty on religion. There are three types of people represented in this book. There are those that believe that God wants us to live life by a rule book or suffer dire consequences; there are those that believe that God wants us to live by certain rules but that he will not utterly condemn us if we do not keep the rules and then there are those that do not believe that God is alive. The story is written in an entertaining allegory form so readers who are not interested in reading about religion are still able to enjoy a captivating read.

The author of this book is definitely not dead. There were no significant formatting and grammatical errors to complain about. Actually, the writer has a refreshing diction. Adam has read the entire dictionary and has comedically redefined some of the words. The humor in this book was really laugh out loud funny at times. I was impressed with the realistic dialogue and the vivid imagery employed throughout the story. There was a fairly large number of characters involved in this novel and all of them were very realistic. Bruneau is a master at awakening emotions in readers. I was truly absorbed in the book.

It would be remiss of me not to mention that there is an awesome love story in play throughout the novel. I do not wish to disclose much about this aspect of the novel but it does play a major role in the plot.

In conclusion, please read this book! This is definitely a must-read.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Whoa, Jaime Lync! I can feel your enthusiasm about this book, and it is contagious!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Miriam Molina wrote:Whoa, Jaime Lync! I can feel your enthusiasm about this book, and it is contagious!
Thanks. I've been told that I was a bit preachy in this review. This book was super duper awesome though. I'm glad I got the chance to be one of those to review it.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What an exciting review! I could also feel your excitement jumping off the page!

I too read and reviewed this book, but was still stumped as to what exactly the Authorians, Kafkaists, and Illiterantes represented, as I was thinking they were for specific religions, such as Catholicism, Christianity,
Judaism, Buddhism, etc. I like your take on it, though, and feel it's probably the correct one, though Michel may also mean this to be like art, left open to interpretation. In any event, if I could pick a book to be required reading in school, this would be it.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I saw the cover before, but passed it by. Reading your review, though, I think I'll pick it up!
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

It really shows that you found this book excellent and you recommend it without reservations.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

MsTri wrote:What an exciting review! I could also feel your excitement jumping off the page!

I too read and reviewed this book, but was still stumped as to what exactly the Authorians, Kafkaists, and Illiterantes represented, as I was thinking they were for specific religions, such as Catholicism, Christianity,
Judaism, Buddhism, etc. I like your take on it, though, and feel it's probably the correct one, though Michel may also mean this to be like art, left open to interpretation. In any event, if I could pick a book to be required reading in school, this would be it.
Thanks MsTri. I agree that this book was written in such a way that it is very open to interpretation. I am sure that people that don't have a clue about organized religion can find a metaphor for the different types of characters.
kislany wrote:It really shows that you found this book excellent and you recommend it without reservations.
Yes, this book was that awesome! There is not one people group that I will not recommend this masterpiece to.
Angela Stripes wrote:I saw the cover before, but passed it by. Reading your review, though, I think I'll pick it up!
I was also hesitant about reading this book due to the cover but I was simply blown away by the humour and rationality in this book. I doubt you will regret reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”