Review by Zelinda -- Roadmap to the End of Days

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Zelinda -- Roadmap to the End of Days

Post by Zelinda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To quote the author of Roadmap to the End of Days, “The premise of this book is that there is information in scripture and history”. The emphasis is that the book is looking at history from a supernatural perspective. History is shown within the context of the Divine Plan, i.e., God’s plan for history and humanity. The book’s first look at history describes it as a glass maze. If we could view this historical maze from above, we could see different patterns, various paths and exits, even choices that could affect the time it would take to get to an exit. But the idea of paths, patterns and exits is predicated upon the idea that human history has a start and a finish; it is part of a linear cosmology. The exit of the maze is the end of human history.

The author mentions three different disciplines’ view of time, identifying them as Science, Philosophy and Religion view time. Only a small amount of detail provides an explanation of the difference between the three. The focus is on the Religion view time. He presents history as a biblical calendar consisting first of Creation time, then of Human history, and finally of the 7th millennium. Creation time is depicted as 13.74 billion years, Human history as 6,000 years, and the next 1000 years makes up the 7th millennium.

Most of the book focuses on human history, which begins with the life of Adam and continues to this day. The author attempts to show the correlation between scriptural history and world history and the patterns that occur in both. There is much attention given in breaking up the 6,000-year human history into segments of time that help to explain the patterns that reoccur through historical time. There are all manner of tables and examples used to show the similarities. To really take it all in, one would have to study them for some time.

As the title indicates, the book goes through all these exercises to introduce us to what he describes as "The End of Days". If it all goes as he predicts, this period will occur in a little more than 200 years. This will be followed by the Messianic Age, a time of peace and harmony, when all humankind will recognize the One God. This is not a spoiler, as you learn this early in the book.

To really take the thesis of this book seriously, one would have to have a belief system that corresponded to the view of the author. Things presented as fact might not be accepted as such. I liked learning about the Jewish religion, its structure and some of its beliefs. I enjoyed the presentation of the archaic conflicts and schisms that occurred in the family of Abraham. The book helped me understand a little about the current difficulty of achieving peace in the Middle East. It is an instructional book that could be used in a religion course. The genre of the book is Non-Fiction; if there is a sub-genre it would be Theology, as it would appeal to those who are students or followers of Judaism.

I d not think the author did an effective job of showing that scriptural history can show us a path to the end times. Although he often used phrases such as “it is absolutely guaranteed” that didn’t convince me. Again, this would require a leap of faith that another reader might be able to make. I was not. The premise of the book was validated, but the conclusions were not.

While there were no editorial errors that I could see, the writing was somewhat pedantic and scholarly. If I were reviewing this book as a textbook I might have a different viewpoint. My rating of this book is 2 out of 4 stars.

Roadmap to the End of Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zelinda's review? Post a comment saying so!
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi,
Great review Zelinda. The best I've seen of this book so far. I've read it as a free BOTD and absolutely hated it, despite seeing only rave reviews all around. How does 7000 years of biblical history translate to some 13 billion years. The information is further presented as fact! I couldn't even finish reading.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks. It was an extremely difficult book to review. I do believe that there should be a separate genre for theology as it doesn't really fall into nonfiction or fiction either; anyway thanks for checking out the review.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Hello, Zelinda. I have reviewed this book and I really liked it. I agree with you, theology should be a separate genre.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I read the sample of this book. And I must agree with your review, it did seem a but complex. For a "textbook point of view" it would be good, but otherwise too much concentration is needed in it. Good job with the review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've heard about this book a lot, and not many reviewers liked it, so I was not surprised about your rating. Great review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Excellently written, the biblical prophecy is really an interesting topic, and I had this book lined up. I am sure I'll elarn a lot though I'm pretty conversant with Bible prophesy
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Chris Jablonski
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Chris Jablonski »

Thank you for the in depth review. I do enjoy reading Theological material and I don't enjoy textbooks, so this leaves me in a quandary as to if I should invest the time, time I can never get back if the subject doesn't preclude the style. I suppose I could always read it when I am suffering insomnia as text / technical books put me to sleep.
Joan E D

Post by Joan E D »

Subject matter is not interesting. Don't think I am interested in this book.
normakirk

Post by normakirk »

For me, your last paragraph said it all. Theology was one of my favorite college courses and, although, I wouldn't be opposed to reading this book, it would probably be slotted near the end of my reading choices unless it was a requirement course by one of my professors.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”