Review by Belynda White -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Belynda White -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Belynda White »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday, a novel of reincarnation, is a historical romance fiction. The novel is set in modern-day Chicago, Illinois. The book opens up with Amanda Parker drinking a glass of Merlot, as she communicates with her cat, Oprah. She is talking to her cat about the six stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, and resignation. Then, she sees the tiny lights twinkle in the sky above and she's happy. She realizes she's making progress, as her heart doesn't ache anymore at the sight of a plane. She believes she isn't depressed, nor has she accepted her loss, but she has resigned herself to the aftermath of the accident. Later, she takes a train ride. As she steps out, she sees two mounted Policemen on their horses. She stops to admire them in their spotless Chicago Police Department uniforms, and well-polished buckles and stirrups. She finds herself amazed at how incredibly sexy a Policeman on a horse looks. Then, all of a sudden, there's an accident; one of the Policemen looses control of his horse. Amanda screams and rushes down to save the Policeman, and they end up in each other's arms. That is how she meets Officer Mark Callahan, and the moment Mark meets her startling blue eyes, he feels like he knows her from somewhere. But, how?

The plot of this novel revolves around struggles, mystery, love, history, reincarnation, and the feeling of déjà vu. This is the feeling of familiarity and recollection, like one who has already lived through something before. Determined to find out where they know each other from, they embark on a journey to find the answer. Switching between viewpoints of Amanda and Mark, this historically-imbued tale follows them, as they struggle to find out how they know each other. Amanda comes from a past that is full of losses, and her heart is near a breaking point. Then, there's Mark: a Policeman, arrogant and charismatic in personality, but extremely sweet when he wants to be. They go together like fire and ice; one to keep the other in check, and vice versa. Mark falls in love with Amanda and he finds himself really crazy about her. It is his patience, and determination to win her over, that keeps them together.

In the quest to find answers to their questions, and to quench the déjà vu feeling, Samyann traces the story, back in time, to the 1800s. The author weaves the Chicago Fire of 1871, and the climate of the Civil War, into this novel; giving these events new lives, through the character of Bonnie. At the height of the Civil War, a young woman, Bonnie, and her cousin, Jack, are saved by two freed slaves; Ben and Magdalene. This happens after Bonnie's father dies. Though Bonnie endures the Chicago Fire and experiences losses, her fate is closely tied to Amanda's. Both women associate certain events, feelings and even people they know, with the chimes of St Michael. Bonnie hears the bells during her lifetime, and Amanda hears the tune from an antique clock she buys, not long after she meets Mark.

The language of the book is very simple, but the complexity of the ideas presented shows the author did a very thorough research. Samyann did the events justice in conveying those historical details with precision. The time travel of the soul makes the story very intriguing. At every past life regression, the reader holds on to his/her breath, and wonders what will happen next. Also, at each past life regression, the element of suspense is built, as the reader is eager to know what will be revealed in that particular session. There are no editing errors, as I believe the author must have corrected that before now. The characters are well-developed, and the reader can relate to every emotion portrayed by these characters. I'm impressed with the thorough historical research the author has done in order to create the plot. The last few pages, that remark on some of the historical facts, turned out to be beautiful additions.

I enjoyed this book very much because, besides the theme of love, I found the novel extremely educative. For this reason, in addition to the fact that there were no errors, I rate the novel Yesterday a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all the historical romance and time-travel-stories lovers because the book is a treat for believers of fate and everlasting love.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Belynda White's review? Post a comment saying so!
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi Belynda, I've also read and reviewed this book and I agree with your rating. One of the best romance I've come across in any book so far.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Oh, this sounds like a wonderful book, with a dash of history. Sounds like my cup of tea! Thanks for your wonderful review!
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>

Post by Belynda White »

juliusotinyo wrote:Hi Belynda, I've also read and reviewed this book and I agree with your rating. One of the best romance I've come across in any book so far.
Thanks a lot. :D I had some spare time and decided to read this one. I do love the book. It's amazing.

-- 18 Sep 2017, 20:31 --
Kinnera wrote:Oh, this sounds like a wonderful book, with a dash of history. Sounds like my cup of tea! Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thanks a lot for liking it. :tiphat:
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love historical fiction the most when I can truly learn from it. Sounds like this book does that well.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

It sure does. Thanks.
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

When the past affects the present... I'll lije to get tge full details, so I'll be grabbing myself a copy. Nice review
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

Thanks a lot
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html

Post by Barbiedole »

You're welcome. Hopefully I'll tell you what I think later
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Your detailed review was helpful-thanks.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

Thanks a lot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”