Review by Vickie Noel -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Review by Vickie Noel -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Vickie Noel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon

As reflected by current trends in the world today, children no longer have to wait till a certain age before being exposed to the richness of a language’s vocabulary. In fact, it is advised to start when they’re still in the mother’s womb! Against this backdrop, The Terrific Trio namely Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon teamed up to publish the 3rd edition of Puffy and the Formidable Foe on the 7th of September 2011.

Despite being of small content, it’s an illustrated children’s book with themes bordering on exploration, adventure and learning from one’s mistakes. The story paints a vivid, relatable picture for kids (literally); warning of the potential repercussions of straying off without supervision.

Puffy, the major character in Puffy and the Formidable Foe, is a kitten in search of adventure all by himself. He chances upon an animal he presumes is a fellow kitty but ends up regretting their meeting as the kitty-look-alike turns out to be a skunk “with odor obscene”. As a cat who hates water by nature, it is little wonder then that Puffy views the perfectly cleansing bubble bath that follows as “yucky shampoo.”

This cute-sized 16-page book is an interactive learning tool capable of serving varying functions. Words like ‘scampered’, ‘beneath’, ‘obscene’ and ‘formidable’ among others are employed with the aim of expanding a child’s vocabulary at a tender age. On each page, two words are underlined to assist readers in identifying specific rhymes. The story in general is capable of stimulating individual thoughts alongside discussions between children and their guardians.

I think the authors did a great job by providing a page for coloring as a reward for reading and/or participation especially if a child is able to discern his/her favorite part of the story while citing reasons, as well as the ability to retell the story in their own words. They even went a step further by providing an email to request for more coloring pages if needed. I do agree that this feature would greatly increase children’s desire for learning especially reading.

There are ten hand-drawn illustrated pages excluding the one left for coloring. These drawings fill up the pages and are quite creative with appropriate facial expressions reflecting how Puffy felt at every given time. I particularly loved the one where he was in the bubbly bathtub, unable to escape that ensuing wash.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a cute story with lessons learned. For example, it mentions that “Puffy doesn’t get angry, he doesn’t get sore” at his unfortunate encounter with the baby skunk, instead he takes proactive measures against future occurrences. This will reinforce on kids (adults too) the maturity of being a good sport especially during games and other activities.

I picked out no spelling or grammatical errors. I do worry though, if the children would be able to understand the powerful words used without an adult around to explain them. Yet, I am pleased to rate Puffy and the Formidable Foe 4 out of 4 stars for meeting the target it set out to achieve. I think parents, teachers and guardians will find this book useful to their young wards as a tool for learning and banishing boredom, at least, for a little while.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Vickie Noel! Thanks for your cute review of Puffy and the FF. I have to get a new coloring book. I miss my crayons!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for dropping by, Miriam! I think I'll equally grab my pencils, let's create more pictures! :lol: :D
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

Lovely review. Sounds like a great book which teaches some valuable lessons. I like that it provides an interactive read between children and parents/teachers. This gives the opportunity for some quality time together, something that gets forgotten at times in this electronic age. The addition of a page to colour is a fantastic idea too. Thanks for your review. Feel free to check out my new review too, so it doesn't get lonely either!!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Everyone learns better when they are having fun. This is especially true for children. This sounds like a great book, I just wish I had a young kid to read it too.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

jwalker73 wrote:Lovely review. Sounds like a great book which teaches some valuable lessons. I like that it provides an interactive read between children and parents/teachers. This gives the opportunity for some quality time together, something that gets forgotten at times in this electronic age. The addition of a page to colour is a fantastic idea too. Thanks for your review. Feel free to check out my new review too, so it doesn't get lonely either!!
Thanks a lot for your kind words! You're quite right that the electronic age has stolen a significant amount of quality time spent between children and their guardians. Hopefully, some of that gap can be bridged with this material.

-- 20 Sep 2017, 10:39 --
Emie Cuevas wrote:Everyone learns better when they are having fun. This is especially true for children. This sounds like a great book, I just wish I had a young kid to read it too.
I totally agree with you. Knowledge gained while having fun is never forgotten. Thanks for stopping by.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Yeah, I agree expanding a child's vocabulary is wise when they're still young. I like your take on this book and an exceptional review you have here.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Yeah, I agree expanding a child's vocabulary is wise when they're still young. I like your take on this book and an exceptional review you have here.
I'm humbled by the kindness of your words. Thanks for taking time out to comment :tiphat:
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Vickie Noel wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Yeah, I agree expanding a child's vocabulary is wise when they're still young. I like your take on this book and an exceptional review you have here.
I'm humbled by the kindness of your words. Thanks for taking time out to comment :tiphat:
A pleasure
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I really love listening to my kids figure out new words (and make up their own). Sounds like a good book for them. Thanks for the review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

RegularGuy3 wrote:I really love listening to my kids figure out new words (and make up their own). Sounds like a good book for them. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for dropping by, RegularGuy3! I'm sure that would make for a perfect bonding moment :D You know how funny it is when kids try to make up new words... My pupils crack me up everyday with this learning process. :)
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

This sounds like a great tool parents can use to bond with their children whilst teaching them and having fun with its interactive features. Thanks for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I really liked your thorough, positive review. This really is a good book for kids and unique with its choice of words and illustrations.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What a great review! My neighbor's kids will want to learn English (they're from another European country), and I think this book will fit the bill nicely.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:This sounds like a great tool parents can use to bond with their children whilst teaching them and having fun with its interactive features. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your words Kelebogile! Thanks for stopping by. :)

-- 24 Sep 2017, 13:02 --
Gingerbo0ks wrote:I really liked your thorough, positive review. This really is a good book for kids and unique with its choice of words and illustrations.
Gingerbo0ks, thanks for your encouraging thoughts. The book's choice of words is truly unique for kids as you said. :tiphat:

-- 24 Sep 2017, 13:05 --
kislany wrote:What a great review! My neighbor's kids will want to learn English (they're from another European country), and I think this book will fit the bill nicely.
Thanks a lot kislany! I quite agree that the book will help them learn English at a fast pace. They should check it out! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”