Review by 0liveTr33 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Review by 0liveTr33 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by 0liveTr33 » 11 Sep 2017, 21:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O’Hare is an entertaining mystery novel that follows Sergeant Denise Stewart as she starts her new job at the. When a mysterious string of murders begin to take place at exactly 11:05 the pressure is on to find the killer and his next target. However, the more Stewart and the rest of her team try to research the case, the longer their list of possible suspects grows. With so many different theories floating around the station, it's up to Stewart and her new coworkers to figure out what's going on.

As someone who does not frequently read mystery novels, I still found it very easy to get sucked into the storyline. It was one of those books where I was reading any time I had a minute to spare because I was so desperate to know how the story ended. The book’s conclusion was particularly strong, I didn't initially see the ending coming, but when I went back to reread a couple of sections of the book I could see where O’Hare had left subtle clues about the direction he was taking the story in.

The book is also told from multiple points of view, and I felt that O'Hare was great at creating strong personalities for all of his characters. After reading The 11:05 Murders I learned that a couple of the characters from the novel have actually been featured in a couple of O'Hare's other books, and it definitely shows in his writing. It was also heartwarming to read as Stewart went from such an emotionally guarded character to a member of a team that cares deeply about each other. It was easy to see the bonds that had formed between all of the characters. And because the characters were all so well written and had such clear motivations it made it easy for me to feel emotionally invested in the story.

The main criticism that I have for this book is that every once in awhile there would be a line that I felt read a bit awkwardly. It was mainly an issue whenever O'Hare was trying to describe the physical appearance of the female characters. While it was admirable that the he wanted to discuss the topics of feminism and sexism in the workplace, there were times when it began to feel a bit too much like an afterschool special.

All in all I’d give The 11:05 Murders a 3 out of 4 stars. With the exception of a few lines the writing style made it very easy to feel invested in both the the plot and the characters.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like 0liveTr33's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”