Review by bigirimanacelestin -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by bigirimanacelestin -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are there some ideas you can believe that are true and helpful in your life? Outlook like being unique to perpetrate what you want in your own way, being eager to acquire a new knowledge and knowing that as long you work hard and do your best is the way to fulfill important thing. Those and more other ideas are presented in That Place of Knowledge a short story by Philip Alan Shalka, an autistic boy with a vision of creating something that is interesting and different and which will inspire people in the future.

Philip is autistic boy and a dog Sabre is a partner of Philip. They both always enjoy the day together. One day they deep into a swimming pool and pass through a secret path and went to visit a well-known Greek philosopher Aristotle in secret city; a city of comfort and relax. Sitting in the garden, they discussed about exploring big questions of life and how to be motivated. Alan Shalka continues his story showing that he who compares himself to the others will be desperated but he who knows himself will gain power and accomplish more. Now about the end of the book, the author unfolds his story telling us how Phillip and Sabre entered into the swimming pool at the second time up to the secret city to explore it. Through corridors, Math and science halls were explored and even library where Aristotle was. With him, they have discussed about where knowledge is found and how to correlate it.

The author's intention is to show us ways to wisdom. He wrote his ideas in form of conversation, which the readers also may read and understand so easily. However we know well and remember his ideas; but the way the author wrote them interest the reader. And if anyone wills to read it, he shall know too much concerning knowledge, whether it is from us or whether it can be gathered from everywhere.

Overcoming a limit of thinking how a dog and an autistic boy converse has helped me to like most how Philip was eager to learn, overcome his obstacles and helps me to enjoy the book. Another ideas that I loved was differentiation in understanding. They showed in their conversation that having different understanding on a subject help us to gain more about it.

The shortness of the book was like thorn in my feet when I was reading the book. I was trying to devour more advice in it but in few hours I came to end. I wish more discussions may been between Aristotle and Philip, and more visits to halls and to Greece. I could have gained more knowledge if I have had that occasion. Moreover I am happy to read the book.

Overall, this book has astounded me even though it was too short. I rate That Place of Knowledge 4 out of 4 stars as it subsume more useful ideas, and I recommend to everyone who ought to be inspired.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bigirimanacelestin's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”