Review by Ashington Waweru -- Keys to Tetouan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashington Waweru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashington-waweru.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Review by Ashington Waweru -- Keys to Tetouan

Post by Ashington Waweru »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch explores the background religious roots of the Sephardic Jewish identity of a Moroccan family. The well-illustrated story line is within the context of the plights of one Benzimra family in their attempts to find their true cultural and religious identity. The plot explains why, the members of the Benzimra family are always on “the run” to their home country Morocco and the city they were born in and long for, Tetouan, at least spiritually in a longing for their religion. The inquest into their cultural identity deeply explores the nature of religious antisemitism, alienation and relations between Sephardic Jews within and without as citizens in Morocco and in other countries of the world where they run to seek refuge and relief but find none.

The plot thickens in the quest of the protagonist, a young man, finding out about the true nature of his roots and the truth about his heritage in his lineage that his predecessors in the family line faced far from comfortable circumstances. It elucidates the true nature of Jewish supremacy for anyone out to seek for the deeper meaning or who is eloquent in Jewish historical injustices, racial discrimination and the inhumanity bestowed on Jews since the time of Hitler and beyond. This only proving that the Jewish strength lies not in standing up for themselves but in might of religious belief bestowed upon them, for example, for the Benzimra family members to withstand the injustices meted out upon them in the countries they emigrate to in search of peace, might require intervention of peculiar powers to withstand and overcome. The existence of deeply rooted Spanish Roman catholic despise and dislike for Jewish traits is evidenced when the father confesses to the Fernando, the protagonist, how he had to sacrifice his Jewish beliefs to win the love of his wife Marisol, who is ironically also a Jew.

Reading the book was of particular interest to me in quenching specific interest in the Jewish religion and culture and the spiritual inclinations of the eminent differences of the Roman Catholic and Israel-Jewish religions as is evidenced by Bible prophesy. Why would Jewish relations with other cultural and religious affiliations be of such importance other than relations within other cultures themselves? This is a question, which leaves a lot to ponder about in one’s mind, clearly depicts the facts annotated in the Bible in Revelation 12 “the daughter of Zion” as the pure woman or the pure church in the world and Revelation 17, “the daughter of Babylon” as the unclean church of the world. That way, it only leaves room for the reader to decide for himself or herself which religious affiliation, church or denomination they belong to out of the two and obviously which one is Jewish too.

The book brings to the readers realization of the conflicts between religious belief systems in the world by a comparison of interaction between Jewish-Muslim and Jewish-Christian religions. The book provides an insight into the roots of the fundamental truths and facets recorded in the most read literature in the world, “the Bible” and interludes which evidence or add strength to its basic reason. The reason being Jews have and will always be alienated and will never feel at home anywhere the world over because of, “alluding to the truth in the scriptures” and the impact this has on their cultural identity.

Apparently, the twelve Jewish apostles in the Bible did not find the world to be favorable or good nor were they called to find favor in the world and died cruel deaths. Therefore, it is just the nature of the true Jewish religion and applies to apostles even today, but I am sure even Benarroch knew as much when writing the book, I being of African descent propagated religiously into Jewish religion while seeking the truth with my limited Jewish knowledge. This being so, Benarroch deserves a big kudos pat on the back for such great work of exploring ways for Jews to be in the world. The Jews as the elect of Elohim have to be in the world and spread the true gospel and it has never been and will never be a simple task, until the prophesied time in the book of Revelation 20: 4-6, when they shall reign with Yahshua Messiah for a thousand years and forever thereafter in the life everlasting.

Besides the narrative being difficult to flow and connect with, for the reader, the paragraphs are also too long, a factor, which might put off many reader’s attention. The interludes of conversation between chapters encourage the reader to keep reading. I would read the Jewish version of the book Keys to Tetouan translated to English just to enjoy that ravishing in-depth understanding of reading in a first language but reading in English just does it fine for me, as I cannot read in Jewish language. This, unfortunately, may not apply to everyone who does not have such a command of the written English language as I do to be able to overcome the grammatical and syntax errors, which are apparently evident in the text. Neither does it help Benarroch in an attempt to gratify the errors as ethnic editorial lingo as the defaulting from known facets of the English language and the heavy influence of Hebrew language translation mistakes ramp out even the editors and translators. If the text were good in Hebrew, I would advise Benarroch to find translators, editors and proofreaders who are competent in both English and Hebrew. The story line does not flow well over time as later chapters take the plot line to preceding years of the story. Under these circumstances, I have no option but to retain one star and give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book as a must read for everyone and to institutions involved in anthropological and religious facets and evolution of the Jewish religion and cultures and their relation to the world at large.

Keys to Tetouan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Ashington Waweru's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”