Review by Dhahabu -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dhahabu
Currently Reading: Raquel Says
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhahabu.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Dhahabu -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by Dhahabu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson is a non-fiction book that adresses numerous issues about zombies, including the origin of the zombie imagination to the American public consciousness, to how the zombie imagination got popular over time. The author goes a step futher to discuss the zombie anatomy, Scientific origin of zombie in fiction and zombie in films among others.

The author conducts extensive research prior to writting this book as he adresses socio-cultural history of zombies, general ideas in neuroscience, virology and parasitology to the zombie pop culture. He provides sufficient historical information so as to make the ”zombie imagination” less dubious basing on 1930s to 2016 zombie films, he uses these content as bases of this book, which had variety of chapters that are particularistic on topics which enables readers to read individual chapters as standalone topics.

I love this book because the author includes so much details about the zombie topics, why we like them more than other fictional monsters like vampires and he also goes ahead to include funny and witty points though at some point, these points seem to be ironic or sarcastic. All in all, his research, content and systematic writing are desirable.

Though this book is a good read, all these information is derived primarily from zombie based films which seems to be the trend as zombie games also derive their concepts from the same source. I didn't see or learn anything new and felt like this book is merely a compilation of zombie films ideas. This book came off to me as a report or analysis of Zombie information and definitely not as an ultimate guide to zombies. Apart from that, there are a few grammatical errors noticeable.

All in all, this book is interesting to read and very entertaining. The author has potential to write good books as he seems to have mastered the technique of captivating a reader all through the book. This topic didn't do justice to the author as it limited him. He didn't have enough information to even give insight and limited his quantity of information as such topics are really hard to conduct research and validate existance and much more about it. If the author could have an option to go for another suitable topic, he came across as tactful enough to give his best. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to any one who would like to read for fun and entertainment.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dhahabu's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”