Review by Ljessup -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Ljessup
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Review by Ljessup -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Ljessup » 30 Aug 2017, 21:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Yesterday” by Samyann was an incredible book. It is a love story that takes readers back to more elegant times. The story is set in Chicago where a dashing, mounted policeman is saved by a striking young woman. Throughout the story, we read about escaping the American Civil War, The Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and the love of slaves. We watch as Mark tries to reason with Amanda after she rejects him and attempts to make her see that she will love again. It is a heartbreaking yet fulfilling tale of love, time traveling, and reincarnation.

My favorite part of the book was how Samyann used such creation as she told the story of Mark and Amanda’s relationship. She allowed me to experience their relationship through the eyes of different couples that were in previous lives. I learned so much about Mark and Amanda’s relationship will also having the focus on all the other couples as well. It made it an easy read as the characters could be followed without confusion. I also loved how Samyann could move between different time periods and continue to show how strong the bond between Mark and Amanda was through the books entirety. She discussed times that were so dark that I thought I would turn the page and find it hard to continue reading, but her execution was brilliant.

My least favorite part of the book had nothing to do with the writing skills Samyann has. It was more just an annoyance with Amanda’s wall she has built up against Mark. They have an immediate connection and it is obvious it cannot be ignored, but nonetheless Amanda does not hand over her love easily. Having Amanda’s character perform this way throughout the book is vital for the story to continue the way it did, but I found myself wondering how she could resist Mark!

I do understand Amanda being standoffish with her love. She has lived a life of loss of the people she cares for the most. She finds herself fighting against her own judgement and the irresistible Mark to keep her love at bay. From the beginning, I was captivated by all that was going on in the first few pages. Mark was my favorite character as his patience with Amanda was admirable and touching while she worked through her own damage in her life. She was a frustrating character, but it made for a great read in the end. I also think that Samyann did a marvelous job with details to all the characters with their body language and mannerisms, and it made the story that much more intriguing. I would recommend that anyone who enjoys reincarnation and time travel give this book a go.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Samyann’s writing was phenomenal! She had a way of pulling me into the story and keeping me there through all the different timeframes she introduced. “Yesterday” had a wonderful pace and there was some suspense throughout the novel that kept me on edge just enough to keep me turning page after page. The cover is beautiful and fits perfectly with the story behind the first page.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ljessup's review? Post a comment saying so!

AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: Tangier by Stephen Holgate

Post by AliceofX » 31 Aug 2017, 05:17

Nice review. I've been looking at Yesterday for a while, but just never got around to reading it. Read your review out of curiosity and I think I might give the book a go one day.

Ljessup

Post by Ljessup » 31 Aug 2017, 05:54

Thank you! You should give it a try. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did! It was a great book!

strike-aster
Currently Reading: The War of Words
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by strike-aster » 31 Aug 2017, 07:29

Great review! It sure looks like an interesting book to read. It has a unique love story and has strong characters. It makes me want to read the whole book. It sure can captivate your mind and heart. It definitely deserved the perfect rating. Thank you for sharing this to us.

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 02 Sep 2017, 18:49

Wonderful review! I am going to have to grab a copy of the book. Not really my type of book, but lately I have been reading books that aren't my 'type'. :D
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

Ljessup

Post by Ljessup » 03 Sep 2017, 16:32

strike-aster wrote:Great review! It sure looks like an interesting book to read. It has a unique love story and has strong characters. It makes me want to read the whole book. It sure can captivate your mind and heart. It definitely deserved the perfect rating. Thank you for sharing this to us.
Thank you! It really was a great read. I have yet to remove it from my kindle because I might read it again! Definitely a captivating book! :D

-- 03 Sep 2017, 16:46 --
TrishaAnn92 wrote:Wonderful review! I am going to have to grab a copy of the book. Not really my type of book, but lately I have been reading books that aren't my 'type'. :D
I thought the same thing when I read the summary of the book, but I gave it a shot anyway and it really was a wonderful book. Frustrating, but wonderful! :D

juliusotinyo
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 17
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 141
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: "Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy" by William Hanna

Post by juliusotinyo » 11 Sep 2017, 21:17

I've also read and reviewed this book and I agree with your rating. Samyann really did some good work with this one. Great review Ljessup.

jeminah28
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by jeminah28 » 11 Sep 2017, 22:14

nice review. That story somewhat happens in reality. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
"Reading never stops even if there is an ending."
_jem_

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”