Official Review: Where Is The Mind by Rex Holdren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Official Review: Where Is The Mind by Rex Holdren

Post by Ayosinmi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Is The Mind" by Rex Holdren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where is The Mind by Rex Holdren

A deeply introspective psychological thriller and a work of fiction with a religious undertone which was set in Pickerington, Ohio. It centers on Rex as it takes the readers on a voyage through the last ten years he lived as the only man on earth.

It is a rather quirky and unconventional hypothetical story of 304 pages written by Rex Holdren. It features a 65 year old Rex, who after having a fall in his house and wishing everyone would leave him alone, found himself right in the middle of what he dubbed "the great disappearance". He woke up to find himself all alone in the world. Facing his reality, he had to survive all alone, he devised means through which he could survive the various seasons. He had a desperate need for human companionship and found some solace in mannequins, the voices in his head, a video recorder and his journal, but at the very bottom of it all, he missed his family the most. He had a major question he asked God, why was he left behind and all alone? The answer to that is probably within the pages of the book.

Where is The Mind is an engaging, and deeply moving story with a plot that uses flashbacks to draw the reader into the main story and a cliffhanger ending to make them ask what happens next. The plot is original and sustained even though it got somewhat confusing at some point. A clean language was used to convey the message. While it is mostly ponderous, it also uses pathos as its mode of persuasion as it appeals to the reader's emotion. The story is spellbindingly fast, pulling the readers along but it dipped somewhere around the middle when it looked like it dragged on unnecessarily, although it picked up pace easily. It is both plot and character driven. The tone is mixed as it goes back and forth between positive and negative emotional charges. The characters were majorly two-dimensional even though the protagonist was well developed. They are distinct too. The author used a stream of consciousness as its narrative mode as it helps to bare the inner conflict and experiences of the protagonist. The title has a limited semblance of the story.

The themes are quite deep and meaningful, relevant to life. They are centered around the beauty of simplicity, the emptiness of attaining false dreams, valuing family and friends, isolation and loneliness. I like the cogent messages passed along by the author, the philosophical quotes, and the selfless nature of the themes. It teaches that it is better to be kind and courteous, nothing can replace family relationships, and it is better to build bridges than to build walls. I like his resourcefulness and creativity.

However, I sometimes wondered at the whole point of the story although this does not in any way diminish the richness of the themes. It sometimes got confusing. It is mostly melancholic which tends to draw out the same from the reader. The cliffhanger got me but I recovered quickly.

Giving the uniqueness and quality of the book, I therefore rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is a book that teaches about the difference between needs and wants and how this can help people to live a quality and full life. I recommend it to everyone, especially people who value material things above family as this would help them in the re-evaluation of their priorities.

Where Is The Mind
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ayosinmi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a lonely place to be! I wouldn't want to be in Rex's shoes.

Thanks, Ayosinmi, for a heartfelt review of this book.
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Thanks a bunch Miriam. It's a very lonely place to be. I appreciate your comment. A lot. Hugs
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

It somehow reminds me of 'Home alone' , the boy wished the same and found himself alone and so on.
Very interesting though.
Great review as always??
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Aww Darakhshan Nazir, thanks so much for the comments, not just this one by the way, for all the previous ones as well. Yes, home alone is a bit close. This just adds a lot of depth to the plot. Lol.
Hugs and hugs. Cheers dear
Voltaire, 1694-1778
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

"It teaches that it is better to be kind and courteous, nothing can replace family relationships, and it is better to build bridges than to build walls. I like his resourcefulness and creativity. " This phrase captures my attention and I agree with it. I applaud your review. :lol:
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

readandsmile wrote:"It teaches that it is better to be kind and courteous, nothing can replace family relationships, and it is better to build bridges than to build walls. I like his resourcefulness and creativity. " This phrase captures my attention and I agree with it. I applaud your review. :lol:
i agree with you, much better to build bridges than building walls. We need to remove walls within us to build good bridges. :D
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

readandsmile wrote:"It teaches that it is better to be kind and courteous, nothing can replace family relationships, and it is better to build bridges than to build walls. I like his resourcefulness and creativity. " This phrase captures my attention and I agree with it. I applaud your review. :lol:
Hello readandsmile, ☺ thank you for your nice comment. I appreciate it. Yes, all these were by the author and truthfully, it works in real life. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers and hugs

-- 29 Aug 2017, 05:53 --
Jem Tomarong wrote:
i agree with you, much better to build bridges than building walls. We need to remove walls within us to build good bridges. :D
Yes Jem, it's better that way, but people rarely do. Anyway, we are hearing it from the horse's mouth. ? he's been there, he's done that...
Voltaire, 1694-1778
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

You stole me with the first sentence, "A deeply introspective psychological thriller and a work of fiction with a religious undertone .." Just the thing to muddle my brain! The phrases/sentences and words, "..The author used a stream of consciousness as its narrative mode as it helps to bare the inner conflict and experiences of the protagonist..deeply moving.. centered around the beauty of simplicity, the emptiness of attaining false dreams, valuing family and friends, isolation and loneliness... " finished the job. I think we can forgive the faults.
Thank you for your brilliant and professional review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Thank you my new found friend, Geoffrey. I appreciate how you dissected the whole thing and made it look better. ?
I'm just so blushing right now. Thank you so much. Hugs
Voltaire, 1694-1778
geoffrey ngoima

Ayosinmi wrote:Thank you my new found friend, Geoffrey. I appreciate how you dissected the whole thing and made it look better. ?
I'm just so blushing right now. Thank you so much. Hugs
YoU, Ayosinmi, made it look better, and now I am blushing because I made you blush, newly found friend ;) Thank you so much, and you're welcome, and before I forget; Hugs
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Smiles. Hmmmm. Hugs right back at you. ☺
Voltaire, 1694-1778
geoffrey ngoima

You know I have so many hugs they'd reach tomorrow
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Lol. Mr charmer. Keep it coming. Cheers dear
Voltaire, 1694-1778
geoffrey ngoima

Cheers!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”