Review by juliusotinyo -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Yesterday by Samyann is about reincarnation and romance. The following passage best describes the tale, “No life is free of tragedy… No life is completely devoid of happiness either.” So, join Mark and Amanda as they explore their ancestors’ lives through the American Civil War and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Will Amanda ever break? Or will Mark give in to her convictions and leave?

We are first introduced to Amanda Parker, a Chicago native. Amanda risks her life one morning to save a policeman. Mark Callahan is a Chicago mounted policeman. They are instinctively drawn to each other after the rescue. Amanda has built a personal conviction never to allow anyone in her life. She believes that they all end up dying. In his pursuit for love, Mark certainly has his work cut out. But, this has happened before in another life, or so it seems.

All is not as it seems when they are both drawn to an old clock. The scent on her Amanda's hair, the shimmer in her eyes, Mark's arrogant nature is all déjà vu to the pair. They are plagued by visions and feelings of a life they might have had in their common past. In which the clock, and the characteristic chimes played a vital part. All this plays out leading them to attempt to solve this mystery. Mary Axelrod, who is Amanda’s godmother and a psychiatrist, suggests regression therapy. She does this by using hypnosis. During the sessions, both Mark and Amanda separately give accounts about the life and times of their 19th century ancestors. While reading Yesterday, you will experience the love black slaves had for their young white charges in the Southern United States. You will also take a bit of the scenery and history of both Charleston and Chicago (past and present).

The book had well-developed protagonists. The romance was bogged down by Amanda’s convictions. I admired Mark’s maturity and patience in his pursuit for love. I couldn't help cheering him on to keep trying. Amanda’s character came off as impulsive and headstrong – hopeless at times. I found her character very depressing. But, this does not interfere with the story. It actually forms a basis for her path to recovery.

There were some scenes where Samyann blew me away with description of events. The best part was the hospital scene, when Mark had been shot. It was impressive how Mark’s thoughts were described despite the chaos of the hospital ER. I am tempted to reveal more, but spoilers are not allowed.

There were a few negatives. I can’t remember a scene between Mark, Mary and Amanda where coffee, tea, wine or whiskey did not flow. Although, I don’t mind reading stories where the characters drink, in some scenes on this book it appeared forced. Disconnecting you from the narrative, as the author took time to mention different drinks that I don’t believe added any value to the story.

I picked this book because of the reincarnation theme. I became interested in this subject twenty years ago after reading, Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss. Weiss, a renowned psychologist, used hypnotism and regression therapy to treat a patient. Mary utilizes a similar procedure on Mark and Amanda. Although this subject is controversial at best, this book provides further insight on regression therapy. I admired how the two books are quite similar on this regard.

The book is well edited; I failed to pick up any typographical or grammar errors. I would recommend this book to fans of reincarnation and New Age philosophies. I’d recommend it also to those who are going through a hard time. Consider the following passage, “Some people believe that the soul is doomed to repeat painful acts until it learns from its mistakes.” The book is about this and more. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Nice review! It looks like you liked the book more than I did. The storyline felt slightly sluggish at times but it's alright. Good mention about the drinks, though I never looked at it that way.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Swara Sangeet wrote:Nice review! It looks like you liked the book more than I did. The storyline felt slightly sluggish at times but it's alright. Good mention about the drinks, though I never looked at it that way.
Swara,
I loved this book for its topic, reincarnation. The drinks part was kinda annoying. I read it twice and the drinks part sounded forced to me.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you juliusotinyo for your nice and honest review. Good to know the protagonists are well developed. The story line sounds interesting.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Great Review! This book sounds really interesting. Thank you for the review.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:Thank you juliusotinyo for your nice and honest review. Good to know the protagonists are well developed. The story line sounds interesting.
Hi,
It really is Rosemary. I pitied Mark in his pursuit for Amanda's love...she was a tough one.

-- 21 Aug 2017, 14:44 --
ritah wrote:Great Review! This book sounds really interesting. Thank you for the review.
ritah,
Thanks again for visiting, glad to see my positive views appealed to you.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Hello, thank you for stopping by my review. Wow, you're really a prolific reviewer and a fast reader. I remember the sample of this book, it was a vivid description of a vehicular accident. My takeaway from your review was your noticing the drinks. Interesting observation.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Nice review. I read this one too and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the way the history and current lives were woven together.
peace starts with a smile...
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Izesicle wrote:Hello, thank you for stopping by my review. Wow, you're really a prolific reviewer and a fast reader. I remember the sample of this book, it was a vivid description of a vehicular accident. My takeaway from your review was your noticing the drinks. Interesting observation.

Hi,
Prolific and fast...I've never had such attributes directed at me! :tiphat: Thanks again Izesicle, I usually try to measure up to amazing creative writers like you :D

-- 22 Aug 2017, 04:19 --

Snowflake wrote:Nice review. I read this one too and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the way the history and current lives were woven together.

Snowflake,
Thanks so much and welcome. I pass by and see your comments on this book. I enjoyed the tale, thanks for sharing.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Hello, as thanks for frequently commenting on my reviews and contributing to my scorecard, I've shared this review on my social media.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Izesicle wrote:Hello, as thanks for frequently commenting on my reviews and contributing to my scorecard, I've shared this review on my social media.
Wow, thanks. Didn't even know someone can do that! I appreciate, and will look it up and return the favor.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Seems you enjoyed the book, i hope i too will enjoy reading it when i get it.
This was a wonderful review. Good job.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Marylynn wrote:Seems you enjoyed the book, i hope i too will enjoy reading it when i get it.
This was a wonderful review. Good job.
Thanks for your kind words of inspiration. Yeah, I enjoyed the book and hope you do too.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Hey Julius. Nice review. Very nice one. I'm a fan of reincarnation anyway, so I'm going to read this book. You nailed this yet again dear. Cheers.
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Ayosinmi wrote:Hey Julius. Nice review. Very nice one. I'm a fan of reincarnation anyway, so I'm going to read this book. You nailed this yet again dear. Cheers.
You are a fan of reincarnation? Me too. I strongly believe I was a Japanese fisherman in my past life. My experience with the language and culture is so deja vu. Besides, I am good around water despite never having been taught how to swim. Pick it up and let me know how you enjoyed it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”