Review by Kenisha Hyde -- Marrying a Playboy Billionaire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenisha Hyde
Currently Reading: The forgotten kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenisha-hyde.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by Kenisha Hyde -- Marrying a Playboy Billionaire

Post by Kenisha Hyde »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marrying a playboy billionaire by H M Irwing is a steamy romance/erotic book whose title and cover page promise an interesting read.

At first glance, the book cover is very eye catching. However, upon reading the book, I realized the depiction on the cover does not match the physical characteristics of the female and male protagonist in any way.

The sypnosis of the book is that the female protagonist, Aria Longbottom, is dumped on New Years' Eve by her boyfriend because he prefers her cousin who is slimmer and better looking than she. A couple hours after the break up Aria seduces her childhood friend playboy multi-millionaire Justin Kay in a one stand. Five years later, Aria Longbottom attempts to assuage old guilt over the encounter with a business deal that she believes will atone for the one stand and set her free to date again. However, Justin Kay has different ideas for atonement. He wants her to be his wife. He plans to achieve this end through seduction and duplicity.

[Marrying the millionaire playboy begins with a narrative that is basically easy to follow if not a little off putting with some body shaming and self flagellation remarks of the protagonist. She refers to herself with disparaging descriptions that may have been strategically placed to convey dark humor. If so they fall flat with me.The character instead comes off as having low self esteem and being self discriminatory.

Moving deeper into the novel there are various romantic comedic moments that keep the book from submerging into the darker humor previously noted but at times it became a bit difficult to understand the plot and how it resembled the summary I read before hand. Although there are some references made in the novel of the female and male protagonist being "childhood friends" the overall tone of the book seems to lean towards being "childhood acquaintances" instead. I found the descriptions in the summary of the characters were different from what I encountered when reading the novel. The part I anticipated the most, Justin Kay's seduction of Aria Longbottom was disappointing because of the lack of seduction and duplicity that actually occurred.

The end of the book seemed a bit rushed to reach a conclusion and at one point I felt I had actually missed a page as the paragraph seem to start abruptly from a point barely mentioned aforehand.

I would rate Marrying the millionaire playboy
2 out of 4 stars . The novel didnt bring anything new to the genre and lacked the wow factor expected by the summary and book cover. It seemed to follow the tried and true method of a basic romance novel but with many sex scenes to make up for the lack of originality. I was disappointed that there weren't many seduction or duplicitous moments as stated in the summary. However, the book was certainly filled with mutually lusting high sexual tension moments. As well due to some minor grammatical errors and the self discriminatory remarks of the female protagonist I couldn't rate this novel anything more than 2 stars. Fans of the romance genre may find this novel an interesting read if they don't mind dark humor and an overused plotline.

Marrying a Playboy Billionaire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kenisha Hyde's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”