Review by Aarush Kumar -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by Aarush Kumar -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar » 15 Aug 2017, 04:04

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan is a contemporary novel set in Canada. It features a young man named Patrick Carter. Patrick gets involved in a serious national investigation about weapons trafficking, as he saves the life of a young girl who was drowning in the river. The novel is a blend of mystery, suspense, and romance.

After Patrick saves the 14-year-old Samantha from drowning, he finds himself as a part of an investigation involving the newly formed Task Force 101, which is searching for those who smuggle weapons into the country. It is later revealed that the wrong girl was targeted. The original target was Amelia, Samantha’s sister. Amelia is on the run, and her life is in danger. It seems Patrick will have to work undercover for the Task Force to save his life, as well as the life of several others.

The premise of the story was quite good, and the summary was quite attractive, however, there were several faults in the book. Firstly, the summary was not very accurate. The summary says that Patrick was reluctant to participate in the investigation. However, once Patrick met Samantha’s family, he was quite willing to help in any way that he could. Secondly, there were a lot of grammatical mistakes, and there was hardly a page without any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. Some examples are: “leaking his face” instead of licking, “he took him several” instead of it and etc. there were lots of these, and at times, they made the read quite frustrating.

Thirdly, the dialogue was not very good. Scenes of romance were inserted into the book where they had no place. This was not only deviating from the main focus but were also awkward. Many important scenes were not very well developed. There were many inconsistencies in the book. For example, Emily was frequently called Emy, Emily and other names at times, which made it very confusing.

As if this were not all, the title is completely unrelated to the whole plot, and its significance is only revealed in the last. This was quite surprising and tiring since I was searching for the explanation of the title from the very beginning. Without giving away any spoilers, I would like to warn any future readers that the ending is not quite what one would expect from a crime and mystery novel.

Considering all these factors, I rate Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan 1 out of 4 stars. There were a lot of areas where the book could have been improved upon, and I recommend that the book is edited properly. I look forward to reading more books by the author.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Aarush Kumar's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”