Review by Quinto -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Review by Quinto -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Quinto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel,Keys to Tetouan traces the history of the Benzimra clan since 1272 and through successive generations. It is authored by Mois Benarroch and it's his second book in the Tetouan Trilogy series. Its classified in the historical fiction genre.

The novel explores the themes of Jewish immigration and exile, Jewish culture and the significance of “our land”, namely Israel from the Jewish viewpoint.The author`s historical narrative is mainly drawn from the time the Jews were expelled from Spain in the 16th century. The focus is on the closest city to Spain located at the northern part of Morocco and twenty KM from Gibraltar called Tetouan. From the novel, and concerning the close proximity of Tetouan to Spain, the author, and with respect to the Jews, he says that "...that closeness hid a great distance inside, great distance between expectations and reality. The Jews always considered themselves Spanish that took a long trip away from home, and they will soon go back to their homes, to Granada, Seville, Toledo, Vinaros and Badalona..." Pg 48

Through a descriptive and persuasive writing style, and first person narration inform of a series of letters, the author takes us through the generational experiences and brief biographies of his kinsmen.

The story opens with the main character, Fernando Benzimra, receiving a letter from his recently deceased father. The contents of this letter, which later we come to learn is also a will, is the harbinger of surprising news for this only child and son to his father.Indeed, this turn of events is enough to make him look for and reach out to a cousin he barely knew hitherto, to whom he confides in the contents of the letter or "bomb" as he describes the letter to him.

Later, as the story unfolds, details of the parents' conspiracy emerge. Conversely,and as fate will have it, we learn that Fernando and his mother Marisol, who is also deceased, harboured their own "little" secret against the father.Needless to say this leaves Fernando disturbed hence his reaching out to his relative as earlier described. More is to come however, as the twist in author's narration doesn't end there.This is because there is something even more sinister bothering Fernando. For starters, his only child and son, John, from his first marriage, and who lives in Caracas with the mother, has been given over to "Avod zara", that is , foreign worship or idolatry. To cope with this, Fernando migrates to Jerusalem and enrolls in the "Yeshiva" (religious institution) and proceeds to take a second wife and even having three children with her.Meanwhile with his new found religious life, and with the help of his other cousin Shmuel, he embarks on praying and tormenting himself for the soul of his first son, just to make him come back. Will he succeed?

Inspite of its gripping and almost mystical narrative, the book needs a thorough and professional editing work. This is because it is beset with lengthy and poorly crafted sentences with frequent grammatical errors. This makes concentration and comprehension of this novel difficult. Just some examples;
  • 1.Wrongly constructed phrase/ sentence
    "that's not our problem anymore i don't know what will they do" Pg 45
    "a school who was always going through financial difficulties" Pg52
    2. Improper use of tense
    "i didn't really won" Pg 51
    3. Misspellings
    "launch" instead of "lunch" Pg 59
    4. Lack of punctuation/too wordy
    "but why did i feel in exile when i was in Jerusalem" Pg 107
On another level, some of the controversial issues and insights the author brings out in his book are the "waging war" of the "Ashkenazim" as viewed from the Moroccan Jew (Sephatic Jews) stand point.He describes the Moroccan Jews as favouring peaceful coexistence with the Palestinian Arabs unlike the former.This according to him, would be much more possible were the said Jews in influential government positions.
Secondly, as far as advocating the perceived injustices against the Sephatic Jews is concerned, and the whole of the Jewish diaspora in general, the author views himself as the "...lone voice calling in the desert and shouting voice on the mountain" Pg 39.
Additionally, he also handles other cultural issues touching on for example, the need for a Jew to marry a Jewish wife so that the "...father does not cut you off his inheritance" Pg 43.
Lastly he sees it quite strange in Jewish history, that they never rebelled against the "murder, slaughter, humiliation, exportation" even when they had "...the financial resources and sometimes the military capabilities..." Pg 112.

In conclusion, because of the above reasons among others, i found the novel insightful and eventful.Additionally, the book is powerful and deliberate, and puts across a synoptic evaluation of the Jewish culture and history and provides a refreshing look in understanding them from a bystander's and even adherent's point of view.

Consequently, i recommend the novel to anyone mature, interested in a good read, especially with the view of understanding other cultures and more specifically the Jewish history and way of life. Because of its poor editing, however, i deduct one star and give it a rating of a 3 out of 4.

Keys to Tetouan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This book must have been translated and required professional editing. It would be a difficult read for me with all those errors. I don't think i will be looking for this one. You seem to have enjoyed reading it and even managed to do a good review of it.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:This book must have been translated and required professional editing. It would be a difficult read for me with all those errors. I don't think i will be looking for this one. You seem to have enjoyed reading it and even managed to do a good review of it.
Hi Rosemary,
Yes i agree the book needs a professional editing service. However i was willing to overlook them and understand the author. He has been described as a prolific author and recipient of some top accolades so i really wanted to understand him.

Thank you for your response :tiphat:
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a fascinating book, but the errors would drive me crazy! I hope that the author gets it professionally edited. Very nice review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I like this book. I read reviews about Benarroch, he always noted his Jewish culture and wanted to tell other Jews that they must not forget their hometown.Your rreview give me reason to read this book.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Nice review Quinto. Benarroch's book are a challenge to read let alone understand, and for that I congratulate you.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This sounds like a fascinating book, but the errors would drive me crazy! I hope that the author gets it professionally edited. Very nice review!
Thanks for your compliments. The book is a treasure in terms of the rich cultural and humanistic content. The only drawback to the novel are the errors and poor editing. It requires patience to even understand.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 10:46 --
readandsmile wrote:I like this book. I read reviews about Benarroch, he always noted his Jewish culture and wanted to tell other Jews that they must not forget their hometown.Your rreview give me reason to read this book.
Yes the author was wise to pen a piece on the Jewish experience and culture. It has an important lesson to humanity on tolerance.

The book is fantastic, only that it needs professional editing. Hence it requires extreme patience even to understand.
Thanks for your compliments.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 10:55 --
juliusotinyo wrote:Nice review Quinto. Benarroch's book are a challenge to read let alone understand, and for that I congratulate you.
Hi Julius,
Thanks for your hearty compliments. I get what you mean on understanding his work! It requires patience as the editing bit is missing!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I could read this history piece. The Jews are a big part of what was and is to come. I have seen this book around and I must just go for it. Great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I could read this history piece. The Jews are a big part of what was and is to come. I have seen this book around and I must just go for it. Great review.
Hi Geoffrey, yeah I agree with you. The book is an interesting and revealing read. Fuĺl of the mystery and wit the author is famous for. Thanks for stopping by.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Quinto wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I could read this history piece. The Jews are a big part of what was and is to come. I have seen this book around and I must just go for it. Great review.
Hi Geoffrey, yeah I agree with you. The book is an interesting and revealing read. Fuĺl of the mystery and wit the author is famous for. Thanks for stopping by.
You're welcome
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems interesting but a lot of mistakes. Too bad. Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Plot seems interesting but a lot of mistakes. Too bad. Thank you for such a nice review
Hi, yes I agree. The editing would do the magic.
Thanķs for stopping by.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

You have made a nice review to one of Mois' novels that are prolifically written and hard to understand. I hope to read the book one day.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”