Review by Emie Cuevas -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Emie Cuevas -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elf Brief by Jordan David is a fantasy novel depicting the life and times of Santa and his elves. It is the first in a series of nine books. Jordan has an unusual take on how the North Pole runs and the life of its denizens. The book concentrates on one elf in particular, explaining everything from his perspective. This elf is called Noel Night.

Noel is selected for an important task. It seems that Santa is retiring, and he needs Noel to document the whole period of his retirement and the recruiting and training of his replacement. Noel first task is to observe the recruitment of the new Santa. Some of the other elves object to this, but Santa insists and he gets his own way. This gives Noel insight into the FCD (first contact department) and reveals some of their secrets. After this Noel then starts to investigate all other aspects of North Pole life giving the reader an excellent opportunity to find out all about the environment the story is set in.

The characters are very well thought out and each has their own distinct personality. They elves also have a specific job and they can tell just from the color of the hat an elf is wearing what that job is. Each characters action is colored by this job, and it all works very well.

The Landscape is also well thought out, and the description of buildings and the location of each are well done, I really felt like I was there while reading this. I did think that the inclusion of a map would be helpful. There is a glossary of terms at the back of the book. However, I found the description within the story to be detailed enough that I didn’t need it.

I really enjoyed the storyline but after careful consideration I rate this book at only 3 out of 4 stars. The reason the book didn’t rate the full 4 stars is because of the numerous mistakes in the choice of the correct word. For example, the word ‘waste’ is used instead of ‘waist’ and ‘due’ for ‘do’. There are also mistakes in the tenses of some of the words used. If you can cope with correcting these as you read and you enjoy a good fantasy book then this is well worth a read. I’m looking forward to starting the next book in the series.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a cute plot! I want to go on an adventure with Santa's elves. I wonder if Rudolf will make an appearance.

Welcome to OBC, Emie Cuevas! Hope to read more reviews from you. Enjoy the club.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed it myself. They just keep getting better too. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Miriam Molina wrote:What a cute plot! I want to go on an adventure with Santa's elves. I wonder if Rudolf will make an appearance.

Welcome to OBC, Emie Cuevas! Hope to read more reviews from you. Enjoy the club.
When you read the second book, the story behind Rudolph is revealed. You'll have to read it to find out what it is :no-spoil:

-- 25 Aug 2017, 19:52 --
kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed it myself. They just keep getting better too. Thanks for the review.
You are most welcome
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

The story is full of fun yet this book is not my taste. Good to hear that you enjoyed reading the book. I like your review. I wanna see more of your future reviews.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed it myself. They just keep getting better too. Thanks for the review.
Only read the first 2 so far, looking forward to reading the rest :)

-- 28 Aug 2017, 05:29 --
readandsmile wrote:The story is full of fun yet this book is not my taste. Good to hear that you enjoyed reading the book. I like your review. I wanna see more of your future reviews.
They are great books, shame they are not to your taste, more reviews on the way
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”