Review by pkkoya4 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pkkoya4.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Review by pkkoya4 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by pkkoya4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is a well knit, fast paced book that will keep you hooked till the end. This book seems to be the first of many paranormal series by Lincoln Cole. The writer uses simple language making comprehension easy.

I had no idea what this book was about. So at first I was not sure I wanted to read and review it. I decided to go for a toss. Boy! What a toss it was! I absolutely loved the book. Three short bursts and the book was finished. I was surprised that I had finished it so quickly. It was action, action and more action.

The story deals with paranormal activity that happens in everyday life. The book starts with a prologue that gives us an insight of what to expect in the coming chapters. Since the plot is about demons and demon hunters, the book describes some of the ways employed by the demon hunters to catch the demons. This looks a bit like the Harry Potter Series in the way these demon hunters are disguised as normal people. The similarity ends there.

There are certain aspects in the story that are not convincing. First, the protagonist, Haatim Malhotra, is from India. He is supposed to be in the dark about all the demons and demon hunters till he comes into contact with demons. This is unconvincing. A person brought up in India would not be so shocked to believe the existence of demons. But he/she would be shocked to actually meet a demon. The concept of dealing with demons is completely different in Hindu mythology. There is no concept of banishment. The strongest demons are dealt with by their nemesis who is born entirely for the purpose of killing them. The only exception as far as I know is Emperor Bali, who was banished by Lord Vishnu's incarnation, Vamana, into the underworld. So Haatim's banishment of Belphegor is a bit unconvincing. Second, in India, the demons and demon hunters are not rejected like in the west. Though these concepts are dismissed as superstition, a solution is sought as soon as possible. Here, the immortal or seemingly immortal demons are bound in a vessel and buried deep with strong containment devices. The problem arises when these containment devices are broken and the demon is released. I think that is what happened in the case of Belphegor. Third, The Council is supposed to be an all religious council. If that is the case, would The Council members not use methods they know best to combat demons? This is a bit unclear.

I concede that the book is written by a person brought up with the western concepts of mythology and lore. So that is bound to reflect in the story. I feel that the protagonist should have remained a Christian to keep it convincing. Perhaps a little bit more research into the methods employed by demon hunters of other religions could have been helpful.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars since it is very engrossing and the reader cannot keep it down till it is over. I will definitely recommend this book to all readers. Parental discretion might be useful though the book has no gory details. Lincoln Cole has done a very good job.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pkkoya4's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review. A Harry Potter-like book with a high reviewer rating like this does seem to be a worthy read.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Thanks very much.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Thank you for the review. I have been meaning to read this book, and reading your feedback has given more insight into the background.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Seems like a great read! I'm glad you took a leap of faith and it worked out!
However, your comment on the Indian culture is spot on and very valuable. Even if the author is a Westerner, it's respectful and much more accurate to do a thorough research if you're not that familiar with other cultures.
Great review, thanks!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This book is in my to-be-read list for a long time. Your review just drove the message in that I need to get started with it. An elaborate review emphasizing the basic difference between two religions concerning demon-hunting, I absolutely loved reading this.
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Thank you very much for your comment Shrabastee!! Glad to be of help.
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Thanks very much for your comment Lunastella!!!
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Glad to have been of help holsam_87
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love your discourse on demon hunting in Indian culture. The author should have exercised due diligence. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Thanks for your comment cotwani!!!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

What an insightful review with the Hindu references and beliefs. It is quite different from my Christian views regarding demons and demon hunting. I also read and reviewed this book and loved it just as much. Thank you!
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:

Post by pkkoya4 »

Delighted to read your comment Ronel_Steyn!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like the author would have had the advantage to get some ideas from a person from India to get a different perspective on dealing with demons more realistically in the book. But again, most people probably would not catch that point and insight you brought up. It is great that the book is written with a lot of action. Good review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a very faced paced paranormal book with lots of action. I like the way you highlighted the Indian's perspective of demons.

Thank you for the detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”