Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by Donnavila Marie01 -- The Expansion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by Donnavila Marie01 -- The Expansion

Post Number:#1 by Donnavila Marie01
» 05 Aug 2017, 10:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Donnavila Marie01
Share This Review

I knew that Panama Canal exists but never did I know that it is a very significant part of the earth. Its creation shortened the distance that ships had to travel to pass between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. It serves for shippers of commercial goods to save time and money by transporting cargo more quickly. Its commercial operation started in 2016. The Panama Canal is considered by the American Society of Civil Engineers as one of the seven wonders of the modern world. The Expansion by Christopher Martin is an informative political thriller which gives relevant information on economic, political, and personal issues.

Max burns was a promising British geomatics engineer who reached the peak of his career. CISCO chose him to lead the Panama expansion project because of his background. Life was not easy for Max Burns because his big break was coupled with corruption, sabotage, deceit, espionage, and murder. Everything has been set before Max realized that his profession, life, and his country are in peril.

The Panama expansion project was not only a competition of private engineering companies. It was also a competition of states with personal interests. Political leaders are ready to gamble billions of dollars to manipulate the project. This went to the extent of sacrificing significant personalities and ruining longtime state relationships. Innocent individuals like Max Burns, Karis Deen, and Godfredo who were not exposed to the complexities of the business and political world were used and manipulated.

I am awed by how the author organized the events from the prologue to the last chapter. All the characters are relatable. Martin excellently assigned the different kinds of emotions, insights, and personalities to the primary and secondary characters. The fast transition of events in the story kept me alive and excited. The descriptions about the Panama Canal compelled me to watch documentaries about the place. It is evident that the book has undergone professional editing because I did not encounter any grammatical or typographical error.

The only issue that I have with this master piece is the representation of the international bidding for the expansion project. The author awarded the project to a single company which is CISCO. In reality, the Panama expansion is not an easy project for a company alone. It needs several companies from different engineering fields to collaborate.

I did not have any second thought of giving this book 4 out of 4 stars because it opened a door for a new knowledge to me. This book is perfect for those who are in the fields of economics, political science, international relations, and history. I support the author if he plans to create a sequel to this book because there are a lot more to uncover about the characters and the issues introduced in the story.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Donnavila Marie01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Donnavila Marie01's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 32%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by Donnavila Marie01 -- The Expansion

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 10 Aug 2017, 07:26

I admit that I am not as knowledgeable about the Panama Canal as I should be. This was a lovely review. I never did finish the book, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 87 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#3 by Donnavila Marie01
» 10 Aug 2017, 09:12

Thanks for the kind words. I love this book because it inspired to soar high.
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by aussiebooklover
» 10 Aug 2017, 11:11

kandscreeley: it is very annoying that you always need to comment even if you have not even read the book! Is somebody really interested in posts like these?
And yes, I read the book and really enjoyed it! Great review!
aussiebooklover

Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Darakhshan Nazir
» 10 Aug 2017, 14:08

Great review and book seems worth reading
"The night wasn't dark, it was her soul"
-Darakhshan Nazir
Darakhshan Nazir's Latest Review: "The Watchmen's Chronicle" by Michael Tsaphah
Darakhshan Nazir

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#6 by Donnavila Marie01
» 11 Aug 2017, 03:31

aussiebooklover wrote:kandscreeley: it is very annoying that you always need to comment even if you have not even read the book! Is somebody really interested in posts like these?
And yes, I read the book and really enjoyed it! Great review!

The ethical consideration that we must put in mind is to comment when you read the book or the sample pages of the book. Thanks for the comment.
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Miriam Molina
» 14 Aug 2017, 13:11

I read the book and appreciate the history and importance of the Panama Canal. I did not rate the book as highly, though. It was a bit slow and left many unanswered questions for me.

Thanks for the informative review. It seems you enjoyed the book immensely.
Miriam Molina's Latest Review: "Shattered Perfection" by Heather Guimond
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 429 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#8 by Donnavila Marie01
» Yesterday, 05:21

Miriam Molina wrote:I read the book and appreciate the history and importance of the Panama Canal. I did not rate the book as highly, though. It was a bit slow and left many unanswered questions for me.

Thanks for the informative review. It seems you enjoyed the book immensely.

Thanks for the comment. The unresolved issues in the story open a room for a sequel. :D
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by juliusotinyo
» Yesterday, 06:47

My background is engineering and I've visited the canal. Seems like a book I'll enjoy. Thanks for an insightful review.
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#10 by Donnavila Marie01
» Yesterday, 08:59

I support the desire of juliusotinyo to read the book. You are the perfect person to review the book since you have an engineering background. You will enjoy it!
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page