Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by Czarmaine AM -- My trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by Czarmaine AM -- My trip to Adele

Post Number:#1 by Czarmaine AM
» 04 Aug 2017, 07:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Czarmaine AM
Share This Review

Reading My Trip to Adele gave my feelings a wonderful ride. Published in September of 2016, it was written by siblings A.I. Alyaseer and R.I. Alyaseer. In all fairness, the two authors gave justice to the adage that says “two heads are better than one.”

The first thing I noticed after opening my copy was its table of contents. It thrilled me that the 24 chapters of the book were titled using an Adele song. I felt like browsing an Adele play list and not a fictional novel. How cool is that, right? Moving on, since I did not read any review or summary beforehand, it took me some time to grasp the flow of the story. To begin with, the plot revolved around the lives of three people leading three totally different lives: Elias and his search for his long-lost love, Nadia and her struggles in surviving single parenthood, Yaser and his futile efforts of saving his marriage. It was like a compiled three short stories that were written in alternating first person point of view. Although their lives were nothing similar from each other, there were two things common to them. One, the characters were all Arabs who were huge fans of Adele; and second, they were all in a middle of a life crisis.

Reading this book is such a beautiful experience not just because I am also a fan of Adele. The approach of how the stories were told was unique and creative. Firstly, the stories were set in three different countries. The places were described close to perfection detailing not only their landmarks and tangible attributes but its people and their practices as well. This is one of the books that made me feel like I am teleporting in one place to another. Moreover, bits and pieces of Arabic culture and Islamic teachings were cleverly entailed in the story. Take my words; the authors did that without sounding like preachers delivering sermons. Also, the authors left me in awe as they brilliantly incorporated the lyrics of Adele songs in each chapter. I will never hear those songs the same way ever again.

Still, like any other books, My Trip to Adele also has its fair share of flaws. As I have mentioned, this book has three main characters and the authors wrote their stories in a first person point of view. Despite that, I had difficulty noticing the difference in their voice and felt like there was only one person talking. It was fortunate that this weakness was compensated with a well-described setting. Additionally, there were some chapters wherein the main characters were recounting events from the past and then, it gets jumbled up with the present. It can be confusing at times.

To conclude, I am rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars. Although the concept is unique and the story is skilfully told, I failed to relate to the characters. I can’t figure out exactly why but maybe I would enjoy reading this more if this was written in third person point of view. I think that this is just some personal preference and nothing technical. If you love Adele, this book is a must read. If you do not love Adele, grab a copy and I am sure that I would be welcoming you to the fandom in no time!

My trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Czarmaine AM's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Czarmaine AM's Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Czarmaine AM

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 126%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by Czarmaine AM -- My trip to Adele

Post Number:#2 by juliusotinyo
» 11 Aug 2017, 01:50

Hi, I've also read and reviewed the book. Though it did not turn me​ into a fan. I related more with the plot. It was a good story.
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 111%

Post Number:#3 by Abfaniki
» 11 Aug 2017, 02:42

@ by Czarmaine Am
You have immensely enjoyed this book I can see that from your review or like u stated it was a beautiful experience reading the book. I have not read the book but I love your review on the book it made the book sound interesting.
lovely review!
Abfaniki's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Abfaniki

Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#4 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 11 Aug 2017, 10:33

This is the first review of this book the mentions the similarities between the characters. It's a very well thought out review and it reads like a book!
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Everything is gonna be alright" by Treava
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#5 by Ayosinmi
» 11 Aug 2017, 12:26

Nice review. Very nice. I read and reviewed the book and I must say that our views are similar. Keep it up. Meanwhile, I have a review of searching for paradise out, check it out please and drop a comment. Thanks
Desperation precedes emotional predation
Ayosinmi's Latest Review: "First Friday" by Tory Hartmann
Ayosinmi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#6 by Czarmaine AM
» 12 Aug 2017, 23:47

juliusotinyo wrote:Hi, I've also read and reviewed the book. Though it did not turn me​ into a fan. I related more with the plot. It was a good story.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book! Nevermind that recommendation, it just came from my fan girl heart :D

-- 12 Aug 2017, 23:50 --

Abfaniki wrote:@ by Czarmaine Am
You have immensely enjoyed this book I can see that from your review or like u stated it was a beautiful experience reading the book. I have not read the book but I love your review on the book it made the book sound interesting.
lovely review!

Yes, it was such a good ride! Thanks for your kind words!

-- 12 Aug 2017, 23:51 --

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:This is the first review of this book the mentions the similarities between the characters. It's a very well thought out review and it reads like a book!

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Kelebogile <3

-- 12 Aug 2017, 23:52 --

Ayosinmi wrote:Nice review. Very nice. I read and reviewed the book and I must say that our views are similar. Keep it up. Meanwhile, I have a review of searching for paradise out, check it out please and drop a comment. Thanks

Thank you! Would be glad to check out yours too <3
Czarmaine AM

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Ayosinmi
» 13 Aug 2017, 05:00

You are welcome dear. I would expect to hear from you soon. Hugs Hugs. Meanwhile I got bored with all the Adele lyrics and all, but I'm glad you found it interesting. I liked how they were able to synchronize the lyrics with the themes of each chapter, that took a lot of hard work. Well done
Desperation precedes emotional predation
Ayosinmi's Latest Review: "First Friday" by Tory Hartmann
Ayosinmi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#8 by Kalin Adi
» 13 Aug 2017, 19:46

I'm very fond of Adele's song. This book is in my 'to read' list already. I like that you explained in your review that the Arabic culture and Islamic teachings were entailed in the story. I think this is a selling point for this book. It is a shame the transition from one voice to another is confusing. This probably make the reading tiresome. Thank you for this tender review, Czarmaine.
Kalin Adi's Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Kalin Adi

Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 83 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 760%

Post Number:#9 by ReviewerDiksha
» 18 Aug 2017, 00:15

You are right. It is not a perfect book. They could have done it better. You are welcome to read my take on this book and let me know if you agree/disagree with what I have said about it.
ReviewerDiksha

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#10 by Czarmaine AM
» 18 Aug 2017, 03:00

Kalin Adi wrote:I'm very fond of Adele's song. This book is in my 'to read' list already. I like that you explained in your review that the Arabic culture and Islamic teachings were entailed in the story. I think this is a selling point for this book. It is a shame the transition from one voice to another is confusing. This probably make the reading tiresome. Thank you for this tender review, Czarmaine.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know your thoughts after reading it, Kalin <3

-- 18 Aug 2017, 03:01 --

ReviewerDiksha wrote:You are right. It is not a perfect book. They could have done it better. You are welcome to read my take on this book and let me know if you agree/disagree with what I have said about it.

Thank you for commenting and reading my review! You did a great job writing yours as well <3
Czarmaine AM

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Naval Aulakh
» 18 Aug 2017, 09:12

Nice review. I enjoyed reading it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Naval Aulakh's Latest Review: "Aeternus" by D. E. Flintoff
Naval Aulakh

Currently Reading: Moonful of Love
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Post Number:#12 by Darakhshan Nazir
» 18 Aug 2017, 10:23

I have heard so much about this novel .. This book is literally everywhere❤❤
Admirable review
"The night wasn't dark, it was her soul"
-Darakhshan Nazir
Darakhshan Nazir

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#13 by readandsmile
» 18 Aug 2017, 21:44

This book sounds exciting and appealing to read. I will gonna try it. You made a nice review. I really love songs. Thank you for your review.
READING is a learning process that opens a way to human intelligence unto perfection.
=read and smile=
readandsmile

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#14 by Czarmaine AM
» 19 Aug 2017, 00:18

readandsmile wrote:This book sounds exciting and appealing to read. I will gonna try it. You made a nice review. I really love songs. Thank you for your review.

Thank you for your kind words! Continue reading and smiling <3 let me know your thoughts after you read it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. <3
Czarmaine AM

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by gali
» 20 Aug 2017, 00:13

I have read the book and liked it overall. I agree with you about its flaws.
Thank you for the nice review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Closed Casket
Bookshelf Size: 1638 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 63%

Next