Review by juliusotinyo -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole was self-published in 2015; it’s the first book in the series. Do you believe in faith as the ultimate weapon against the supernatural? The tale is a fast paced thriller with numerous fight scenes and plot twists that seek to answer this question and more. Lincoln Cole weaves a complex thrilling tale of adversity, revenge, loyalty and determination.

The tale begins with a prologue about Arthur commonly referred to as the “Reverend”, who is languishing in a remote prison. The reason for his incarceration is not immediately defined but he truly believes in his conviction and is quite content with his conditions. He even considers his cold cell to be a safe haven. However, all this changes when a past colleague releases him to do a difficult assignment involving his adopted daughter. He agrees to take on the task seeking to both redeem himself of his dark past and also find out about his now lost daughter. This leads to an encounter with an incredibly powerful demonic entity with a thrilling outcome.

Haatim is having a hard time dealing with personal grief. Having recently graduated with a Theology degree, he questions the relevance of God’s existence given his internal strife. A confrontation with the demon-hunter Abigail will challenge his beliefs as he reluctantly becomes a player in a demonic conspiracy. Abigail is a member of the hunters’ order that serve and protect the Council of Chaldea against the supernatural. Her work involves eliminating and exorcising demons. She is a formidable hunter but is considered an outcast by her peers due to her dark past and also her current rebellious nature. This is evident when she partners with Haatim which is against procedure. However, the two eventually become a reliable combination as the story progresses.

This is a fast paced thriller with numerous fight and action scenes; with well-developed character profiles for the main protagonists. I particularly enjoyed Haatim’s character and how he overcame his inadequacies through faith. However, most of the antagonists were rather easy to beat; I would have preferred fewer long-drawn battles over multiple mini encounters.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were few grammatical errors worth noting. Being my first book to read in this genre, I was easily impressed, it was quite an irresistible plot. I would recommend this book to everyone, particularly to fans of supernatural thrillers. Readers who do not enjoy demonic and other supernatural themes may not enjoy it.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wael El-Manzalawy
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wael-el-manzalawy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Wael El-Manzalawy »

Hi juliusotinyo,
Very good review. I think that Abigail is the best character in the story. She faces evil without any hesitation.
Last edited by Gravy on 20 Aug 2017, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spamming of other members reviews
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Wael El-Manzalawy wrote:Hi juliusotinyo,
Very good review. I think that Abigail is the best character in the story. She faces evil without any hesitation.
Abigael was OK, a little intense though.
I'll check out your review, right now...
Last edited by Gravy on 20 Aug 2017, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: other members quote
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

this fast paced thriller as you put it deserved to be the book of the month
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

Great review.
I enjoy the book immensely Abe was definaly intense. I read such kind of books alot i was dissapointed with the book there was no much action ( killing from the demons) basically Humans were the ones that did most of the killing. The first demon that took Authur was the one the only demond that killed.

between Haatim and Abe who do you thing is the protagonist and who is the focal character?
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

bookiegalke wrote:this fast paced thriller as you put it deserved to be the book of the month
Its always a pleasure seeing comments bookiegalke. Thanks, the book was great. Hope you get to read it too.

-- 17 Aug 2017, 11:22 --

*your comments...

-- 17 Aug 2017, 11:28 --
Abfaniki wrote:Great review.
I enjoy the book immensely Abe was definaly intense. I read such kind of books alot i was dissapointed with the book there was no much action ( killing from the demons) basically Humans were the ones that did most of the killing. The first demon that took Authur was the one the only demond that killed.

between Haatim and Abe who do you thing is the protagonist and who is the focal character?
Hi abfaniki,
Glad to see your views. Isn't the focal character and the protagonist the same thing? Anyway I agree the novel would have been a great hit if Arthur would have lived. His demon hunting skills were far superior and intense.

I think Haatim might feature more in the intended sequel. Hope to see more of him then.
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html

Post by Abfaniki »

Lol
I definaly enjoy abbadon.
I hope the next series will be better.
Onc more Grate Review. I may steal a page or two from your review.
Awesome!
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but didn't finish it because I lost interest . Now, your review makes me think I should have completed it . ??
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Nazir,
Thanks for your comments, it wasn't that bad... Sorry you didn't get to enjoy it.

-- 18 Aug 2017, 09:52 --

Abfaniki,
Thanks again​.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I will definitely not enjoy this one. The demonic theme will keep me away. You seem to have enjoyed it. Thank you for the nice review.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I will definitely not enjoy this one. The demonic theme will keep me away. You seem to have enjoyed it. Thank you for the nice review.
You are scared of demons! I am more terrified by humans. Look at how they treat each other...
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

That's a good one Julius!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Think of it this way, which scares you more, walking into a strange dark room or somebody unexpectadly knocking on your bedroom window at 3am? I've been there and I assure you, no demon can scare more than a human with ill intent.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This is a great review Julius! This is a book I know I want to read for sure, it sounds very interesting based on all the reviews I've read on it. Including yours
- I just need the time. I've got a lot of books on my shelf.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

ritah wrote:This is a great review Julius! This is a book I know I want to read for sure, it sounds very interesting based on all the reviews I've read on it. Including yours
- I just need the time. I've got a lot of books on my shelf.
I am sure you'll find time ritah. It's a quick read, a day at most. Thanks for your kind compliments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”